Wondering what's the best Android phone, in all of your opinions, overall, in the $200. ~ $250. range?

Android Central... currently rates the Moto G6 as the 'Best Cheap Android Phone', notwithstanding huge amounts of bad reviews across multiple other sites!

We recently ordered & received an LG Stylo 4, for an elderly family member, but haven't un-boxed it yet, as we've been reading more 'critical' reviews. Nevertheless, all phones in the less expensive low to mid range price ranges --have substantial 'critical' reviews-- across multiple online review/shopping websites.
    So besides reading 'critical' reviews, should we be counting them, to tally which phone(s) have the fewest ? -- Thanks to all... who have time to respond !

The LG Stylo specs:

Android OS: 8.1

RAM / Storage: 3 GB / 32 GB

Processor: 1.8 GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 450

Battery: 3,300 mAh

Display: 6.2” FHD+

Rear Camera: 13 MP / Front Camera: 5 MP
    olorin2 likes this.
    10-03-2018 11:44 AM
    Those rankings tend to look at features, software, updates, etc. My opinion is that much that of should fly out the window when talking about giving it to someone elderly, where ease of use would probably be primary. Both LG and Moto make fine phones and Moto's lower end phones have a big bang for the buck and are better built, however, I find some people find the Moto fingerprint sensor/button a little confusing to use. I'd go play with one in the store and see what you think.
    winmod21 likes this.
    10-03-2018 01:50 PM
    Those rankings tend to look at features, software, updates, etc. My opinion is that much that of should fly out the window when talking about giving it to someone elderly, where ease of use would probably be primary. Both LG and Moto make fine phones and Moto's lower end phones have a big bang for the buck and are better built, however, I find some people find the Moto fingerprint sensor/button a little confusing to use. I'd go play with one in the store and see what you think.
    Thanks very much for the reply, olorin2. We're not figuring on her using the fingerprint sensor, but of course we are a little concerned if we made a good choice. Not sure if the Moto G6 or the LG Stylo 4 are going to be in the stores, probably should've checked before we ordered the Stylo 4 from amazon. We did look at BestBuy's choices a few times, as we were thinking of going with the Samsung J7...until reading the seemingly countless poor reviews on that one.

And the Moto G6 has many-many critical reviews regarding it's fragile glass breaking, on both the front & back. I do like the specs on the Moto G6, but then the LG Stylo has a bigger battery and larger 6.2" display, of which we put high value on.
    The Nokia 6.1 has many-many bad reviews concerning it freezing up & crashing, and the camera being terrible etc. So . . . . . . . I guess we'll maybe try-out this LG Stylo 4.

Thanks again.
    10-03-2018 03:56 PM
    The Stylo 4 has gotten good reviews from what I've seen. However the Moto is always in critic's choices for the best "budget" smartphone.

The specs you posted seem to be the unlocked version (3gb RAM)
    winmod21 likes this.
    10-03-2018 03:59 PM
    Thanks very much for the reply, olorin2. We're not figuring on her using the fingerprint sensor, but of course we are a little concerned if we made a good choice. Not sure if the Moto G6 or the LG Stylo 4 are going to be in the stores, probably should've checked before we ordered the Stylo 4 from amazon. We did look at BestBuy's choices a few times, as we were thinking of going with the Samsung J7...until reading the seemingly countless poor reviews on that one.

And the Moto G6 has many-many critical reviews regarding it's fragile glass breaking, on both the front & back. I do like the specs on the Moto G6, but then the LG Stylo has a bigger battery and larger 6.2" display, of which we put high value on.
    The Nokia 6.1 has many-many bad reviews concerning it freezing up & crashing, and the camera being terrible etc. So . . . . . . . I guess we'll maybe try-out this LG Stylo 4.

Thanks again.
    I think either the LG or Moto are good phones. I'd AVOID the cheap Samsung phones - I've never had one last. The reason I brought up the finger print sensor is because it doubles as a home button and track pad, but doesn't work like the Samsung or iPhone versions... it's a little more complicated in my opinion.
    winmod21 likes this.
    10-03-2018 04:34 PM
    The Stylo 4 has gotten good reviews from what I've seen. However the Moto is always in critic's choices for the best "budget" smartphone.

The specs you posted seem to be the unlocked version (3gb RAM)
    Right. The amaz version has the bumped-up RAM, from 2 to 3. Can't recall if any other specs are enhanced as well.
    It's one of those amazon jungle 'Prime Exclusive Phones', so we're hoping it doesn't come complete with too much amazon-in-your-face bloatware. I've heard at least they don't put any amaz apps on the lockscreen — like they used to do. And lots of reports by reviewers saying that all the amaz apps can be disabled.

I think either the LG or Moto are good phones. I'd AVOID the cheap Samsung phones - I've never had one last. The reason I brought up the finger print sensor is because it doubles as a home button and track pad, but doesn't work like the Samsung or iPhone versions... it's a little more complicated in my opinion.
    Oh I see. I didn't know about that. Thanks for the heads-up Well we picked-up a nano SIM at an AT&T store today, so I guess we'll do the online activation thing.

If I recall, I was trying to use Samsung Smart Switch —back in June 2017— when the hard drive went out on the laptop I was using. Then after buying a Lenovo, I returned my AT&T S7A and ordered an unlocked S7A thru amaz for $300 less, hence having to go back to the AT&T store for the return — I let them do the data transferring. But for DIY'ing it . . . is there something better than the sammy Smart Switch? Thanks again.
    tube517 likes this.
    10-03-2018 06:35 PM
    Oh I see. I didn't know about that. Thanks for the heads-up Well we picked-up a nano SIM at an AT&T store today, so I guess we'll do the online activation thing.

If I recall, I was trying to use Samsung Smart Switch —back in June 2017— when the hard drive went out on the laptop I was using. Then after buying a Lenovo, I returned my AT&T S7A and ordered an unlocked S7A thru amaz for $300 less, hence having to go back to the AT&T store for the return — I let them do the data transferring. But for DIY'ing it . . . is there something better than the sammy Smart Switch? Thanks again.
    I have found that very few of the Android switching options are very reliable. I've used several, including Samsung's, and have never been very satisfied (this is one area where iOS gets it way better). Typically, I've just linked everything to Google's services (contacts, emails, photos, etc) and used Google as my backup. In my opinion, it's the simplest and easiest way to be ready to switch phones. Just make sure EVERYTHING is backed up to Google and they it automatically happens, going forward.

Right. The amaz version has the bumped-up RAM, from 2 to 3. Can't recall if any other specs are enhanced as well.
    It's one of those amazon jungle 'Prime Exclusive Phones', so we're hoping it doesn't come complete with too much amazon-in-your-face bloatware. I've heard at least they don't put any amaz apps on the lockscreen — like they used to do. And lots of reports by reviewers saying that all the amaz apps can be disabled.
    We've purchased several Amazon Prime phones and they're great. Even when they had adds, it wasn't that bad. Nothing feels bloated. Also, of you don't already have experience with sub $200 phones, we've bought several and you can get really good ones from Moto and LG, but be aware that they typically need replacing after about 18 mo.
    winmod21 likes this.
    10-05-2018 11:35 AM
    The Moto G5 Plus is a good bet!
    winmod21 likes this.
    10-05-2018 12:06 PM
    I have found that very few of the Android switching options are very reliable. I've used several, including Samsung's, and have never been very satisfied (this is one area where iOS gets it way better). Typically, I've just linked everything to Google's services (contacts, emails, photos, etc) and used Google as my backup. In my opinion, it's the simplest and easiest way to be ready to switch phones. Just make sure EVERYTHING is backed up to Google and they it automatically happens, going forward.
    Thanks again for your helpful replies! That's what I was planning on doing. And it's very helpful to get your opinion and confirmation. I was reading a thread from last year, back when I switched from my GS3 to my S7A, where someone suggested Helium. I didn't try it last year, but looked at it yesterday in Play Store, and although it looks/reads like it should work, some users report it not working with either their PC's or Chrome etc.

I dwnlded it to Chrome on PC, but apparently it doesn't actually open until you also dwnld to phone and connect phone.
    So yes, Google does appear to be safer way. ;-)

Thx also for positive info re amazon ads !

The Moto G5 Plus is a good bet!
    Thx for the tip. !=)
    I'll check those out some more. We haven't activated the Stylo 4 yet.
    Was just trying to figure-out how to back-up apps & data, via goggle, from Galaxy S4 -to- Stylo 4. It's the mother-in-laws phone, and she's in her 80's, so not too many apps or data. But google website seems to show everything but that.

Is it already backed-up . . . if under 'Backup & reset' I've already got 'Back up my data' & 'Backup account' & 'Automatic restore' boxes checked ???

Thx much for any replies !
    10-05-2018 02:29 PM
    Thanks again, and read abv ^ for my first replies.

. . .Did google last night, before discovering that the AT&T store gave us a Micro SIM card...instead of a Nano SIM card like we asked for. :~\ So created a new google account, then checked backup in old phones' (Galaxy S4) settings under > google. But it looks mostly like google only backed-up 'Google' apps from the old phone, except for the last section (or folder) of the backup that said something about misc things or whatnot...?

Was going to try 'Samsung Smart Switch'; but now (later this afternoon, Saturday) I think I'll try the 'AT&T Mobile Transfer' app instead. My wife hasn't returned as yet with correct SIM card. So I'm pretended to clean garage whilst watching football.

*** https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mobiletransfer ***

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.easyMover
    10-06-2018 12:57 PM
    Thanks again, and read abv ^ for my first replies.

. . .Did google last night, before discovering that the AT&T store gave us a Micro SIM card...instead of a Nano SIM card like we asked for. :~\ So created a new google account, then checked backup in old phones' (Galaxy S4) settings under > google. But it looks mostly like google only backed-up 'Google' apps from the old phone, except for the last section (or folder) of the backup that said something about misc things or whatnot...?

Was going to try 'Samsung Smart Switch'; but now (later this afternoon, Saturday) I think I'll try the 'AT&T Mobile Transfer' app instead. My wife hasn't returned as yet with correct SIM card. So I'm pretended to clean garage whilst watching football.

*** https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mobiletransfer ***

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.easyMover
    Let us know how it works! As for the missing Play Store data, I know there is a setting to allow it to back up and restore all your apps. However, if you're wanting app data backed up (game progress, messages, password, etc) that may be up to the individual app (I think)... either way, I'll be interested to know how your 3rd party solutions work.
    10-07-2018 09:32 AM
    . . Oh, the nano SIM & Micro SIM are both part of the same AT&T card.

Anyways, transferring (a fam mem) to the Stylo 4 --from a Galaxy S4-- went great; used google for backup - which transferred apps & some other stuff, forgot whatall, and used AT&T Mobile Transfer for good measure - which transfers contacts, phone logs, message conversations, documents, images, files, settings, etc etc.
    Btw, the AT&T Mobile Transfer app also auto-activated the Stylo 4; so we didn't have activate via the AT&T website.

Did not use 'Samsung Smart Switch' or 'LG Mobile Switch'.

The LG Stylo 4 seems REALLY NICE so far ! Super snappy; super smooth; huge screen; excellent feel; 3300 mAh battery charges fast; stylus & stylus app are very cool ; runs Android Oreo 8.1; customization is sweet & easy; comes with only Amazon apps showing, and other so-called 'essential' apps in a folder labeled 'Essentials' --so first thing we did was reverse that-- and put all amazon apps in folders, and then spread the 'essential' apps on home page. Haven't disabled amazon apps yet, but will.

Note: The Google app folder has all the Google office suite docs & sheets & templates etc, so really nice to see those included.

Did have to disable both the Facebook & Instagram apps to get rid of them; e.g. when you try to 'trash' the Facebook & Instagram apps....the 'Trash' can hides and won't appear ...rolleyes... so you have to go to 'app info' > Force stop > Disable, then also dump cache & data.

Other than that, the Stylo 4 seems very clean & snappy, in fact there's no "Apps Drawer", so other than the amazon apps and the Google apps folder, and one folder entitled 'Management' (which contains other seemingly essential apps for maintenance & cleaning & phone management etc)...the phone actually looks and feels much less encumbered than the typ phone! There are several nice widget choices, but as for apps...I guess they figure you'll dwn'ld whatever you want, which again is really nice bcuz overall it means less bloatware.

Oh, and there is a 'Trash' widget that you can dock with main apps at bottom of screen, or put anywhere, that holds your deleted apps for 24 hours...before deleting them.

All in all, for $750 less than the Galaxy Note 8 & 9 . . . the LG Stylo 4 seems like a fantastic choice so far.

** Used this case: (but it seems very thick and a bit awkward, but may actually be pretty good for elderly fam mem) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6359903

** Used this screen protector: (which has video, and went on super easy w/no bubbles or lines) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6359903
    olorin2 likes this.
    10-07-2018 01:16 PM