I'm using a Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, Android 7. Everything was fine, then all of a sudden, since last week, my Instagram app started freezing and then subsequently crashing often, every day, sometimes even twice a day. Then Google started crashing a bit too, not as often as Instagram, but maybe that's because I use Insta more. I had Malwarebytes installed, it crashed too. I went online, did some research, restarted phone, and cleared the specific app caches, uninstalled a bunch of apps to free up storage space. Clearing the cache seemed to have fixed the problem for Google, for now, at least, it has not crashed yet since but maybe I'm not using it as much, but Instagram is still behaving the exact same way.

I have 6 GB free space on my internal memory and over 10 GB on my SD card right now, and my phone has worked smoothly on less than that before, so it doesn't seem like lack of space is a problem. The only other reason, as I could find online, was malware. Even though it's unlikely malware can get on my phone because I'm very cautious with how I use it, never download anything, anything, except google images, never install apps from third party stores, only install vetted apps from Playstore and practise safe browsing, still, you never know, so I ran scans with my installed AV, Kaspersky (free version). Found nothing, however phone seemed to get more sluggish and Instagram crashes continued, so I downloaded every reputed AV I could find on Playstore and ran scans with them. Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, Lookout, ESET, Norton, Avast, Sophos, McAfee, Quick Heal, you name it, I used it. Not a single one of them picked up anything. Which wouldn't seem unusual to me if my phone was not acting up.

Before the problem started, I had installed only one app in the recent past, TrueCaller, which is a trusted and popular app for call monitoring. No other apps in quite a few time.

I'm at wits end now. My apps are all updated, they always are, so I have no idea what is causing this problem. I could obviously do a factory reset, but I don't just want to jump the gun and blindly perform a reset without knowing the exact cause. Because if I do have malware/spyware on my phone, I need to take precautions while doing the reset too, like changing my passwords and all and not restoring from my Google backup.

Are there any other reasons why my phone could be behaving this way with the sluggishness and app crashes? Right now, my primary concern is finding the cause and then going for the solution. I'll perform a factory reset if I have to, but I want to keep it as my last resort after I have exhausted any other potential solutions. I don't want to try and fix something that ain't broke in the first place.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you very much.
    10-19-2018 03:28 PM
    Uninstall all the free scans and battery savers and testers. Clear the cache partition and reboot. If it persists crashing go into safe mode. If crashing stops, it's one of your apps causing it. If it still crashes in safe mode, you will need to do more.
    10-19-2018 04:13 PM
    I am having a similar (but different) problem. Since an update to the Android OS yesterday, nothing seems to work well: Phone frequently crashes, cannot uninstall apps, etc. I have been unable to find out anything about problem! Note using a Moto G5 Plus with Android Version 7 and before update, all worked well. If you run across any answers or help, please post. Thanks.
    10-20-2018 06:49 AM
    @methodman89

I had already uninstalled the other AVs and scanners after running the scans as I didn't have space on my phone to keep them anyway.

I didn't know how to clear the cache partition, looked online but couldn't understand a few parts, meanwhile, Chrome started freezing up again, exact same way as before, every time I try to go to a particular website, it freezes up and crashes. So I took your advice, booted into safe mode, though without wiping the cache partition. And obviously couldn't test if Instagram was working normally in safe mode as the app itself was disabled, but tried with Chrome and it was working perfectly fine. Therefore whatever is causing Chrome to crash must be crashing Instagram too.

I restarted in normal mode, uninstalled the most recent two apps that I had installed before the problem started and tried with Chrome again, it's still freezing up on that particular website in normal mode. I don't understand now, all the other apps that are currently on my phone have been there for forever and never caused a single problem. The most recent one that's currently installed itself is over 6 months old.

However, Chrome is working fine in safe mode still, and acting out in normal mode. What do you advise I do next? Just start randomly uninstalling apps one by one? I don't even know where to begin, I've been using these apps for years and now one of them might be causing this problem and I wish I had a clue which one it is, I have so many of them.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Please suggest what would be best to do now.
    10-20-2018 04:42 PM
    You may have added something to the browser. Uninstall Chrome, clear the cache routine again. Turn off Sync. Download new copy of Chrome. You'll need at some point dive into Chrome and delete the add on if that is the problem.
    10-20-2018 05:09 PM
    @methodman89

Okay, so you saying that reminded me, I have never used any add-ons in Chrome on my phone, ever, not even ad blockers, but, I did enable my AV's (Kaspersky) internet protection a few days ago, to enable safe browsing and scanning the websites I visit for malicious activity or phishing. So I went ahead and disabled the internet protection, and voila, my window wasn't freezing anymore and the app wasn't crashing, and, the link was loading faster too! To double check I enabled the protection and tried to visit the link again, encountered same problem, then disabled it and accessed and it was again all good.

So it seems the website scanning of Kaspersky was making Chrome act out. Wow, never would have thought! Thank you so much for your help, it would have never even crossed my mind! Thanks a lot, I'm finally breathing an air of relief for the first time in days

One question though, is it supposed to be this way? I mean, aren't the internet protection features of AV supposed to be there for our safety and security? I mean, I thought I was doing a good thing, adding another layer of protection to my web security, but it actually ended screwing things up. Just, seems a little bizarre to me, and I'm no expert on these matters, but you guys know more about this than I ever will.

Gracias.
    10-20-2018 06:53 PM
    Good to hear. As for the scanning software, gigo.
    10-20-2018 07:57 PM