I recently discovered my ancient 16GB card is 92% full (when I was investigating where my Screenshots folder went and saw that a full card will overwrite stuff! OMG) so I bought a new 128GB card.

But before I swap it I want to think through some issues.

1. The name of the card... my existing 16GB card has a name like B41C.... When I put the new card in, will it get a new name?

2. And if #1 is true, then all the apps that have been taught to write to SD card, will be confused, right? Will they start writing to internal memory? Am I supposed to know/remember what apps are using the card (besides Camera, the only obvious one)? Will I have to reconfigure apps to re-learn to use SD?

3. Should I shut down the phone when removing the card and reboot with the new card in place? ...hoping for seamless upgrade

4. I want to copy all the pics on the 16GB card onto the 128GB card. I figured I would upload the 16GB to my PC. Then insert the 128GB in PC and copy the 16GB data to the new card. Is that the only way?

5. I just looked at the contents of SD Card (MyFiles) and all my app packages are there. I didn't expect to see them there. That may elevate the risk of this swap operation, right? I took a screenshot of SD card folders if this forum gives me a chance to add a pic, I'll add it.

Android 7.0 Samsung Galaxy 8
    10-21-2018 11:51 AM
    I recently discovered my ancient 16GB card is 92% full (when I was investigating where my Screenshots folder went and saw that a full card will overwrite stuff! OMG)
    Only on a counterfeit card. If the card is a 4GB card, programmed to claim it's a 16GB card, once you start writing more than 4GB to it, it could overwrite, or fail or almost anything bad. The only thing it won't do is something good.

But on a real 16GB card? You'll just get a message that there's no space left or you'll take a picture that you have set to save to the card and it won't save (or tell you that it's not saving).

1. The name of the card... my existing 16GB card has a name like B41C.... When I put the new card in, will it get a new name?
    The name of the card is actually extSdCard. The new one will have the same name.

2. And if #1 is true, then all the apps that have been taught to write to SD card, will be confused, right? Will they start writing to internal memory? Am I supposed to know/remember what apps are using the card (besides Camera, the only obvious one)? Will I have to reconfigure apps to re-learn to use SD?
    No, as I said, both cards will be named extSdCard.

3. Should I shut down the phone when removing the card and reboot with the new card in place? ...hoping for seamless upgrade
    I always have - since microSD cards came out. It certainly can't hurt.

4. I want to copy all the pics on the 16GB card onto the 128GB card. I figured I would upload the 16GB to my PC. Then insert the 128GB in PC and copy the 16GB data to the new card. Is that the only way?
    I can come up with some others, but that's the best way and the fastest way.

5. I just looked at the contents of SD Card (MyFiles) and all my app packages are there. I didn't expect to see them there. That may elevate the risk of this swap operation, right? I took a screenshot of SD card folders if this forum gives me a chance to add a pic, I'll add it.
    The packages, the .apk files, are the installation files, not the apps themselves. It's always a good idea to save them to your PC. That way, when a developer "improves" an app to the point that you can't use it any more, and the phone updated to the new version, you can uninstall it., copy the .apk file of the version that works to the SD card, run it (tap it) and it will install a version that you can use. (At one time Maps had a pretty good way of keeping a list of places. Then they "improved" that to the point of uselessness. So I installed the older version and turned off autoupdate for Maps until they sort of fixed it.)

Oh, if you do that, once you install the older version back in, turn off autoupdate for that app in Play, or the app will just update to the useless version again. No problem, just a waste of time, uninstalling and reinstalling again.
    10-21-2018 03:20 PM
    Only on a counterfeit card. If the card is a 4GB card, programmed to claim it's a 16GB card, once you start writing more than 4GB to it, it could overwrite, or fail or almost anything bad. The only thing it won't do is something good.
    Ok, overwriting was just a theory. SOmething else bizarre happened to my screenshots folder. I'll just chalk it up to those gremlins. At least it got me to notice my card is quite full. It's legit 16GB. ESFileExplorer properties tells me its 13GB used.

I did not know there were such a thing as counterfeit cards until I started shopping for my new one. It's a scary world out there! I got my new one from Samsung. I felt slightly better that its legit than others. Who knows... I'll verify it on my PC before I start using it!

The name of the card is actually extSdCard. The new one will have the same name.
    Sorry it's not. It's B41C-4631. It used to be extSDCard on my old phone until Android got upgraded from 5.0 to 6.0. And what a mess that was!!! My photos were not going to extSDCard anymore because it didn't exist. I had to re-teach some apps where my new SD card was. That messy experience is probably why I am a bit gun-shy now of a similar mess. (perhaps in reverse?) When that happened, there were new sd card android algorithms that fiddled around with permission changes too. I forget the details (write-delete?) but I lost some sdcard functionality!!

The packages, the .apk files, are the installation files, not the apps themselves.
    These are not apk files. I wish they were. I would love to save them offline as you suggest. I'm going to go look for the APK files and get them on my PC!

These files are, for example: android\data\com.accuweather.android. They have folders named files or cache or nothing. I checked a few and they were empty. Maybe they were some sort of staging area used during installation????

..... (At one time Maps had a pretty good way of keeping a list of places. Then they "improved" that to the point of uselessness. So I installed the older version and turned off autoupdate for Maps until they sort of fixed it.)
    I remember that well and hated it! I rarely do any app updates, but somehow that one happened. Now it takes half a dozen clicks to find the buried list of saved places. However, now I use home screen shortcuts of my frequent saved places. It's actually much better than Maps old saved list
    Attached Thumbnails Any gotchas when upgrading micro SD card?-extsdcard.jpg  
    10-21-2018 05:33 PM