12-03-2018 06:13 AM
37 12
tools Reply
    I bought a new Google Pixel 2 in August. This evening while using an app on my phone, a robot voice (not the Assistant voice) out of nowhere said that my phone was running on "critically low memory" and then the Google app store opened up to an app it suggest I download.

I instinctively shut everything down thinking it was phishing or something. But I just wanted to ask here if this is something I should be concerned about?

I was able to check and the average memory use in the last three hours is 2.5GB out of 3.8 GB. I have no idea what that means.
    10-22-2018 07:47 PM
    same exact thing just happened to me (about five minutes ago.) im starting to wish i let the play store load fully so i could see what it was trying to get me to use... im on an LG G4 and my average memory usage is 2.5/2.8 (which, i guess is pretty high?) but the fact that it directed me to the play store unprompted makes me inclined to believe it was a scam of some sort. :U ive had this phone for about two years and i cant recall any time its done that.
    10-23-2018 09:46 AM
    It's a virus with a voice - that's a new one. How cute (and stupid).

Follow the standard procedures for getting rid of malware. (Google doesn't work like that - if free RAM is getting low, it kills an app to get more.)
    Frank Lin likes this.
    10-23-2018 01:13 PM
    I feel dumb asking this question but I don't think I've ever had malware on an Android phone... So what are the "standard procedures?"
    10-24-2018 07:04 PM
    It just happened to me with my Pixel XL. I immediately powered it down also. It did not happen again. I download all my apps from the play store. I don't think it's a typical virus. I suspect some app might have found a way to the permission to play something in the background.
    10-25-2018 07:51 AM
    I feel dumb asking this question but I don't think I've ever had malware on an Android phone... So what are the "standard procedures?"
    The first thing to determine is if this only happens while browsing. If so, that means it's a browser popup ad associated with the website that you were visiting -- the solution there is to avoid that website from now on.

If this is happening when you're using another app, or if you're on the homescreen, then it's probably adware that has been installed onto the phone along with some other app. You can try the steps here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/am...d-culprit.html
    10-25-2018 08:54 AM
    This happened to my Galaxy Note 9 using chrome recently. It freaked me out even more that it happened when I was browsing some alien conspiracy theory website (just for the lols). I thought clearing Chrome data would solve it but it appeared a few days later, and this time on a legitimate news site (Global News). The Play Store "link" that opens is "Device Cleaner and Booster for Android". Not knowing the Google Play link could be fake I proceeded to "report" it, but now I realize when I search for this app I can't find it on the play store.

I've also seen similar reports of getting a "Video Player" Google Play popup on Slickdeals.
    10-28-2018 02:02 AM
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and a good antivius app to start.
    10-28-2018 02:19 PM
    By any chance are you using Hyperion Launcher? It's the only thing I've added recently and it is showing Google Play Vending running as one of the services. None of my other apps show that as a running service.

I hope it isn't as I love the launcher but won't put up.for any ads being served. Back to Nova I go.
    10-31-2018 11:14 PM
    Google Pixel 2 here and just happened to me.

I was on Messenger, hitting the Friends button (second button from the left on the bottom), when the voice came on and redirected me to Google Play Store for the app "Device Cleaner and Booster for Android" by the developer "android.developer.com@gmail.com".
    11-01-2018 12:58 AM
    I'm using Nova and I got it.
    11-01-2018 01:04 AM
    happened to me while browsing Engadget websites. I think it's a hidden pop-up
    11-01-2018 08:38 AM
    It's a virus with a voice - that's a new one. How cute (and stupid).
    I'd be inclined to think it's a new type of adware, rather than a virus. Annoying either way, but thankfully I haven't seen it.
    11-01-2018 12:28 PM
    Hi All,
    Same thing has happened several times now to my wife on her HTC One M9, and frustratingly most often happens when she's trying to put the baby to sleep and her phone is on silent!
    I've installed Avast and it doesn't find anything.
    I hope someone finds and shares a solution!
    11-01-2018 06:26 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! If the phone is on Silent, that might just be silencing ringtones/notification tones, but not Media volume. When you're putting the baby to sleep, turn down all volume sliders to be sure.
    11-01-2018 08:58 PM
    This is indeed a new angle in spam. It gets in through one of the ad networks used by app makers to generate revenue.

My spouse and I have both had this happen. I immediately removed the one sketchy app I'd installed recently and the spam hasn't returned. She has several time waster games on her phone, any one of which could be responsible for the ad continuing to pipe up every few days.
    Frank Lin likes this.
    11-04-2018 12:05 AM
    These were the three games I uninstalled, and so far the popup hasn't occurred again:
    Tenkyu
    Waves
    Tomb of the Mask

I don't know which specific game caused it though.
    11-04-2018 11:50 PM
    I spoke too soon. It happened again on Petapixel and the only apps I've installed recently were Screener, Pineapple Pen, Poweramp and Sound Assistant. Pineapple Pen is the only one that seems to be dubious in terms of ads, but I've had no problem with it before on my Sony Xperia Z5.
    11-06-2018 07:05 PM
    Any luck getting rid of it? I even tried a factory reset and it came back a few days later.
    11-08-2018 01:47 PM
    Still no culprit found for this? I usually get it while browsing myself. Thought I got rid of it with a factory reset but it came back. I'll try checking the running services thing suggested by mods here the next time it happens. Very annoying to say the least!
    11-08-2018 01:51 PM
    I've had no luck with those. A factory reset didn't help either. I'll try checking running services next time it happens to see if I can find anything but I presume that it won't help either otherwise that as a successful solution would have been posted here already I'm thinking.
    11-08-2018 01:55 PM
    Happened to me with do not disturb enabled... which makes it even more creepy.
    11-08-2018 01:57 PM
    I have an HTC 10. Yesterday this happened to me as well. My phone was sitting on my desk, not being used and suddenly this voice started warning me of low memory on my phone. I dont download any apps from anywhere other than the Playstore. Adware sounds totally plausible. Has anyone potentially learned anything more about this?
    11-09-2018 06:46 AM
    I just had this happen to me this morning. At first I thought it was a virus, but now after reading this it is obviously not from any specific app. It must be coming through something like an ad network, but it is weird because I didn't have anything open at this time in the foreground. I wonder if it's through the browser or an app. It's only a matter of time that someone can continue exploiting this before it gets patched I assume. Hopefully it's fixed soon enough though. Until then we're at the mercy of this bug. Formatting your device won't fix anything.
    11-10-2018 12:13 PM
    I just got this warning tonight - and very happy to have found this thread talking about it exactly!

Anyway, just wanted to post so I can get updates on new comments.

I don't think it has anything to do with a web page. My web browser wasn't open when it came in. And the only thing new that I've installed recently is the Samsung system update which got installed late last night. Other than that I haven't installed any new apps in ages. (3-4 months).
    11-11-2018 11:15 PM
37 12