I got the black screen of death on my Galaxy S7, so I Googled solutions and did a soft reset using the volume and power buttons. I did this several times, as it was indicated it may take a few tries. The phone would vibrate and the screen would flash, but nothing significant happened. I got the LCD replaced by a technician, and when I got the phone back my data was gone i.e. it had been factory reset. I quizzed the technician about this and he was as confused as I. He swears he would not have done anything to wipe the phone. Why would he? So I'm wondering if my several soft resets actually are responsible.
    10-23-2018 04:12 PM
    Welcome to Android Central!

If you were syncing calendar, contacts and email with a cloud service, then you haven't lost any of those items. Hopefully you were backing up to your Google and/or Samsung accounts, and if so, your data will sync to the phone as soon as you sign in.

And if you weren't using Google Photos before this happened, now would be a good time to start...

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    10-25-2018 08:05 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Some companies have a policy of wiping a phone when you send it in for repair, so it was worth asking. I suspect your phone had a major firmware or hardware glitch that led to a factory reset.

Pressing and holding Power and Vol Down is best described as a forced shutdown, rather than a soft reset. "Reset" implies that you've wiped the phone and gone back to factory settings.
    10-25-2018 10:00 AM