galaxy s4 no option to turn off screen

chrismascray

Oct 27, 2018
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 will turn off, BUT, Then it turns itself back on again. I never have seen the options screen to turn it off I have to do the press power button for a 10 seconds or longer, it shuts down, THEN ? It starts all on its own. I have reverted to factory settings maybe 5 times so far and it has made no difference, I do not and have never seen ( its a second hand phone ) the option screen where you can reboot or turn off, any ideas ? Everything else seems to work fine, battery lasts a good time etc etc , but as I work in the Funeral trade I really need to be able to turn it off and be confident it is actually off and not going to restart itself, Can you imagine !! help please.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a flipcover case on? If so, those can sometimes cause problems with the screen turning off or on on its own when the cover is folded against the back of the phone.

Problems with the Power or Home buttons could also lead to the screen turning back on. When you're using the phone, does it ever return to the homescreen on its own?

chrismascray

Oct 27, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, no flip case and no it doesnt go back to any screen I dont want it to, it is simply it will not stay off when I turn it off using the power button and the screen I see others have, the option screen when turning off ? it doesnt appear on my phone at all, there is no options screen where you see power off reboot etc, I see it on others phones but not mine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact that you don't see the Power Off/Reboot options if you press and hold the Power button for about a second makes me think more that there's an issue with the Power button. Maybe the contact for the button is faulty and can't register a long press, but intermittently registers a brief press. In any case, I'd bring it to a repair shop and have them look at it.

One other thing to try is booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-27781

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol