Nexus 7 2013 After turning on, only black screen is visible, no lock screen

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Sorry if this had been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything that matched my circumstances.

I have a Nexus 7 2013, bought at Christmas 2013. It isn't rooted.

Every time I turn my Nexus on, I get a 'sysem process isn't responding' message, which may be the root cause of my issue but doesn't impar the tablet when it's running, seemingly.

My tangible issue is that on start up, my tablet shows me a mostly black screen rather than the lock screen.
Specifically, with a full battery, latest updates to apps and Android, it turns on, showing the Google logo, then the swirly circles that turn into the word Android. The 'starting your apps' message appears and then I get a black screen with the power, WiFi, 'alarms only' icons and time present in the top right corner.
The pattern lock screen, background, padlock and camera etc. buttons on the bottom of the screen are not there. Except for the top right icons, the screen is completely black but obviously on.
Pressing the power button turns the screen off, but it turns on to the same black screen.
For a time, I waited for the screen to naturally switch off as per my power settings and then when I pushed the power button, the lock screen became visible as it's supposed to, but now that isn't working.
I've tried restarting, soft resetting, cache wiping and safe mode but the problem persists.
When I do manage to unlock it, the 'system process isn't responding' message appears, but the tablet otherwise performs normally.

I know it's old, but I'd rather not replace it just yet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks