Hi there. I've discovered that images that I have downloaded from the Gmail app, which go directly to the Download folder, disappear after some time. I can view them in the Gallery under Downloads, they are there for some time, and then they disappear suddenly. This has happened more than once.

I only had a few images stored in the Download folder, so I can tell when they aren't there anymore. The only image I have there now is one downloaded from another app (which also goes directly to Download), and a video which I have downloaded from Chrome. So far, I can pinpoint that only images from Gmail are disappearing.

The images aren't there in Gallery, as well as in the Files explorer under Downloads. Could someone please shed some light on this?
    11-01-2018 11:38 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Some phones have a built-in "phone cleaner" function that automatically clears the Download directory on a regular basis. Also, if you installed any 3rd party cleaner app, make sure it's not set to do the same thing.
    11-01-2018 09:18 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Some phones have a built-in "phone cleaner" function that automatically clears the Download directory on a regular basis. Also, if you installed any 3rd party cleaner app, make sure it's not set to do the same thing.
    I'm using Huawei P20 Pro. There is an app called Phone Manager which does optimisation and cleanup, but it is not automatic as far as I can tell; I have to click on it to perform any actions. Furthermore, it is only Gmail downloads that are getting affected. The other two files in the Download folder are still there.
    11-02-2018 01:44 AM
    What happens if you immediately move a downloaded photo to some other directory (like /Pictures)?
    11-02-2018 10:31 AM
    The image is still there in my Downloads folder currently, and I cant pinpoint how long it took before the images disappeared previously. I'm guessing that if I move the image it might stay in the new location, I don't know? I'm just wondering why it is that only Gmail downloaded images are being affected, whereas my other files in my download folder, including many documents and other images are fine.
    11-03-2018 03:42 PM
    Sorry, I don't have an explanation for that. But it's still worth seeing what happens if you immediately move the downloaded image file to a different directory, to see if the issue is specific to Gmail and the Download directory.
    11-03-2018 07:04 PM
    OK I should move the image to another existing directory. Once I've done that, what should I do? Wait and see what happens to this image? Or if the picture doesn't disappear, does it mean something?
    11-04-2018 05:38 AM
    Right -- move the image file, then see if it auto-deletes. If it doesn't disappear, then I'd still wonder if some app is automatically clearing out certain files from the /Download directory.
    11-05-2018 05:19 PM