My mother has recently become deaf. She is 80 years old and has much difficulty keeping up with emails to stay in touch because of increasingly crowded and difficult to understand computer operating systems. I am hoping that someone can suggest a very simple, easy to understand way for her to get and send text messages so that she can keep in touch with her family that all have cell phones with text capabilities.. I know she will need cell service and she already has an android tablet. Just looking for an app that does not throw up all kinds of adverts and crap that will just confuse what the intended use is for. Thanks to anyone that can help me with this very frustrating situation!!
    Please email me at [removed by moderator] if you have a TRUE solution.
    Thanks.
    Steven Terry. Ontario Canada.
    11-01-2018 05:15 PM
    What devices are the family members using? If all of the family members have iOS devices, it may be best to get an iPad and just use Messages for communication.

If that's not an option, you could always sign her up for a Google Voice number to use for texting. This is a virtual number and will work for texting on any device that can be signed in to the Google account tied to that number. Google Voice is only available in the US though. I suggest this as texting is not usually something included on tablets, even those that can do cellular data.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    11-01-2018 06:19 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Check with your mother's home phone service to see if they offer an app that provides VoIP calls/texts using that landline number. Comcast does this, and the app can be used on wifi-only tablets.
    11-01-2018 09:42 PM