I use a VPN for remote access of my network. I currently have to turn it on and off as required as it cannot connect when I'm on the same LAN as my VPN server.

I am looking for a way to have the VPN always enabled except when on my local network. Ideally using the native VPN client.

Galaxy S8, Android 8.0.0
    VPN: L2TP over IPSEC.
    11-06-2018 09:38 AM
    Not as a stock option, unfortunately. You might be able to achieve this with automation apps like Tasker or IFTTT (not sure IFTTT has access to VPN options, though... and you might need root for Tasker to have that deeper level of control).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-06-2018 12:08 PM
    Do you, or anyone else know of an alternative client which offers this option. I have tried searching but with the popularity of 'Free privacy VPN's', I am struggling to find a client that isn't tied down to a provider of such services.
    I have seen that Cisco AnyConnect cannot offer this. Rooting is something I would like to avoid.
    11-06-2018 03:24 PM
    Only ones I know offer this are tied to their own service (Nord VPN and Pure VPN). Haven't tried others, but doubt that unless it's a proprietary service, any app will do that, to be honest. You'd have to find a way to automate the task.

It does seem, however, that doing so with Tasker doesn't require root (at least using a 3rd party app, not sure if using the built-in one, but worth a shot).
    https://collinmbarrett.com/android-tasker-openvpn/
    11-06-2018 03:30 PM
    Unfortunately this only works with OpenVPN rather than other standards. If I could setup a VPN using that standard on my router I would but this would involve using another device or server.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm sure others will find it useful - it seems to be hard to find any information on private VPN's since the popularity explosion of their use for reducing tracking!
    11-07-2018 01:31 PM
    I am struggling to find a client that isn't tied down to a provider of such services.
    Because the VPN client that's running in your phone has to connect to a VPN server somewhere - and that's the provider's server. (Google doesn't tie you down like that, but any 3rd party VPN developer has no other way of keeping track of you, offering you additional services [for more money, of course], etc.) Cisco's VPN clients still require a VPN server, but you normally run that yourself.

As SpookDroid said, you'll probably need Tasker, or some Linux programming, to do what you want. (It's definitely possible in the kernel, as Linux program to recognize the SSID and change the connection.)
    11-07-2018 03:30 PM
    The original question suggests that the server is self hosted.
    11-07-2018 03:39 PM
    You can always try Tasker if you're willing to take the leap into learning how to code it. Maybe even with macro-style things? Like 'if you detect I'm home, then tap all the things' and de-activate the VPN.
    11-07-2018 03:50 PM