My daughter's S9 64GB started doing this in September. We have talked to several AT&T techs about it including today after it lost pictures and video from a school play last week. It seems to follow the same pattern each time. Phone says it needs to update and even if she tries to keep it from updating it updates anyway and then some pictures and videos are gone.

Today we started by downloading the phone pictures and video to Google. Almost as soon as we got on my WiFi the phone says it is updating again. This is the second time in 10 days it has updated yet the AT&T site says the last update available was mid-October. Anyway, the phone finished updating and indicated it still had almost 2000 of 2700 pictures to upload to Google.

After the Google upload was complete, I tried several times to transfer the pictures and videos from the phone to my desktop.. None of my video software would detect the phone. It has detected the S9 previously and downloaded pictures and video several times with no problem. Windows Explorer did recognize the phone and said the SD card had 26.3 of 59.6 GBs used and the phone itself had 42GBs used. I tried taking the card out and inserting it in an adapter straight to the desktop. Clicking on SD I got a "files are corrupted" message. She took a few more pics and videos w/o card in the phone and played them back on the phone. I hooked up the phone w/o card to the desktop again and neither Windows Explorer or my software recognized the phone. We reinstalled SD card and desktop still would not recognize the phone. The pictures that have not disappeared from the SD card seem to be available on the phone although she didn't try to check all 2700.

I had suspected this was a SD card problem but since the phone w/o card was not detected by my desktop today I now think it is the phone. Could some kind of malware be on the phone that would cause it to need to update and then drop files? She does have a few video games for the kids on the phone from Google Play but mainly uses it as a phone and camera. The tech today could not understand it either. We spent over 30 minutes with him and he tried everything he could think of without any luck.

Next trip is back to the lady that helped me with my Homebase earlier. She is sharp. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    11-13-2018 04:46 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! First, when you connect via USB and swipe down the notification panel, tap the USB icon and make sure it's set to MTP -- is that the case?

Second, a corrupt, defective, or counterfeit SD card could certainly cause data loss. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt. (Be aware that SD Insight might not work on all Nougat or above devices.)

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-sd-card.html.

Third, are these official-looking system updates pushed over-the-air by AT&T? Have you tried doing the system update with the SD card removed?
    11-14-2018 11:49 AM
    Thanks for those suggestions. I will see her and have access to the phone in a few days and work through your suggestions. Until then she has removed the card and is going to take some pictures and videos over the weekend.
    11-16-2018 11:13 AM
    Are you sure the phone is updating or is it uploading? It may try to upload any new pictures to Google Photos. (And it will do this any time there's even one picture that's not uploaded yet.) That\s part of the backup process.
    11-16-2018 12:04 PM