Device in question: Samsung Note 9 (8g, 512g version)

Carrier: Verizon

I have read various posts swearing by unlocked devices. But noon of the ones I've found seem to agree on any one reason. Is there a definitive reason to purchase an unlocked phone versus a phone direct from the carrier? I've heard that there is a difference in pre-installed software, does anyone know where you can find a list of the difference in pre-installed programs from unlocked versus locked? I have never purchased an unlocked phone before. What are the benefits to it? Portability is not a concern for my usage.
    11-20-2018 10:49 AM
    Google will answer your questions about each carriers bloatware. Most can be disabled and is not a concern. Having . 5T and an SD card expansion, storage is probably not a issue for you. Some bloatware can be useful, such as connecting family members and using carrier call blocking and visual vm. It just comes to personal preference.
    11-20-2018 12:10 PM
    The only difference, if you're not going to change carriers, might be the bloatware installed. The version of Android is the same whether the phone is locked or unlocked, carrier bloat or no bloat.

Unlocked only means that you can use SIMs from other carriers. You can get the phone unlocked by the carrier after their set time (different carriers have different times - 60 days to 12 months, during which you have to be using the phone on their towers before they'll give you the unlock code).

So if the phone comes locked to a carrier, but without the carrier's bloat, and you're not going to switch carriers, there's no difference. (My AT&T phone, unlocked by AT&T, was rooted way back when, and I removed all the carrier bloat, so unlocking just allowed me to bring it to TMobile.)

But the ROM is basically the same. (There are slight differences probably - that depends on the carrier - but not from a user viewpoint.)
    11-20-2018 12:59 PM