My husband and I have Galaxy S3's. Our carrier is Att. We have had these phones for years and are very happy with them except for we are experiencing incompatibility issues with certain apps. We can't even download the newest Kroger app, Chick-fil-a app OR THE APP FOR THE RING PRO WE JUST BOUGHT! We really DO NOT want to be forced into buying new phones. Is there ANY way to force the S3's to update to a compatible operating system? Right now I 'think" we are 4.4......and need to be at least 5 or 5.5. Forgive me, but I am not very technically savvy. If anyone can help, I would be most appreciative. (PS...this may or may not matter, but I tried to get the Ring app from both PlayStore and from the Ring website with no luck.) Thanks in advance!!
    11-22-2018 10:44 PM
    Forgive me, but I am not very technically savvy.
    Unfortunately, for people such as yourself there just isn't a way to do what you need to. There are ways to get later versions of the OS onto the device but they can be very technical. On top of that - it's just a band-aid to fix your compatibility issue at the current moment, you will eventually come to a point where the 3rd-party development for that device simply isn't happening any longer and you can't get anymore newer versions of Android that will work on that phone. In fact - the most recent development I see for that device is Android 8.1 but it's in an "unofficial" state while the last "official" was 7.1.1.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    11-23-2018 06:27 AM
    AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was afraid of that! Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed answer. Guess it's time to scour this site for recommendations for good, inexpensive new phones!
    11-23-2018 09:04 AM