I know the earphones are not broken as they are working fine with my dads huawei and my sisters iphone. They also work fine on my laptop. I have to constantly remove and insert my earphones for the earphone symbol to show up on my phone, however when it does, the integrated mic will not work (but sound will come through); I also have to insert it slowly, first partially until the sign for earphones shows up and then completely so the sign for earphones + mic shows up. This is really annoying, I've had 2 HTC devices before and it has happened with them too (that time the earphones were damaged too) but now the earphones are fine and its bugging me. Using a new pair of earphones works fine but i dont see the need to throw away these perfectly fine earphones
    12-01-2018 07:21 AM
    I know the earphones are not broken as they are working fine with my dads huawei and my sisters iphone. They also work fine on my laptop. I have to constantly remove and insert my earphones for the earphone symbol to show up on my phone, however when it does, the integrated mic will not work (but sound will come through); I also have to insert it slowly, first partially until the sign for earphones shows up and then completely so the sign for earphones + mic shows up. This is really annoying, I've had 2 HTC devices before and it has happened with them too (that time the earphones were damaged too) but now the earphones are fine and its bugging me. Using a new pair of earphones works fine but i dont see the need to throw away these perfectly fine earphones
    12-01-2018 07:22 AM
    It sounds as if that's an iPhone set - it wopn't work properly in an Android device - they're wired differently. The mic may or may not work on some devices, but it may work on one and not another, even with the same model number. (An Android set won't work on an iPhone.)
    12-01-2018 02:15 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are the headphones specifically "Made for iPhone"? If so, there's more chance that they won't be entirely compatible with all Android devices (since the headphone jack configuration for an iPhone is slightly different).
    12-01-2018 07:31 PM
    I suspect that your problem is that you have some sort of foreign material in the headphone jack. This is more common for guys, as we tend to put our phones in our pockets, and lint gets into the jack. I've also had it happen that I get my pants or shorts wet with salt-water when I'm walking along the beach where I live. If some moisture were to make its way into the headphone jack, it's going to leave a microscopic layer of salt behind. That salt, in turn, will attract moisture out of humid air, further challenging the headphone jack switching circuit and causing a false switch out of the speakers or microphone. I expect that the salts from perspiration can cause the same effect.

Regardless of the cause of foreign matter or contamination in the jack, I've had good results with the following procedure to clean out the jack. I've done this for USB and charging ports, too. This has worked for me on a few different models and other devices, too.

First, power off the phone. Hold the phone upside down with the jack point down. Then use a vacuum cleaner on its highest setting, with a hose and brush attachment, and cram that brush into the jack or port. Work it in and out and twist it around, back and forth, a few times. Then work a headphone plug into the port a few times, then back to the vacuum and brush.

Then spray some electronics cleaner into the jack. (You can usually buy it at local auto parts stores.) Work the headphone plug in and out again a few times while the cleaner is still wet in the jack. Then spray again and follow up with the headphone plug again. Finally, vacuum once more to help pull put any remaining cleaner from the jack.

Wait a few minutes for any residual cleaner to dry out before turning the phone on again. If the jack doesn't smell like cleaner any more, then I'm sure it's safe to power on, but ten minutes should be more than enough time if you're unsure.

Let us know if this helped. Good luck!
    12-02-2018 12:31 PM