Text from a contact who isn't IN my contact list?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I received a text from a number with a contact name, but I have no previous text history with this number, also when I looked at my contact list that name was nowhere on it. Is this some sort of scam? Is it a number i blocked that cans till text me somehow? The text itself seems normal all they said was "Heey wyd" but I'm really confused at whats going on here.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I received a text from a number with a contact name, but I have no previous text history with this number, also when I looked at my contact list that name was nowhere on it. Is this some sort of scam? Is it a number i blocked that cans till text me somehow? The text itself seems normal all they said was "Heey wyd" but I'm really confused at whats going on here.
People who are not in your contact list can text you. That's normal. You don't have to put them there for them to be able to contact you. Whether or not it is a scam or someone pranking you is a different matter.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
People who are not in your contact list can text you. That's normal. You don't have to put them there for them to be able to contact you. Whether or not it is a scam or someone pranking you is a different matter.
True, but it sounds like in the OP's case, the text has a name associated with that number in the messenger app even though it's not in their regular contacts list.

To the OP, I know it's possible for other messaging apps to add their own contact lists to your device. So it's my guess the messenger is associating that number with one of those other lists. Go into your phone's settings, then to the accounts section. There you should be able to see any service you are logged into, which may help point you to the contact in question.

Or you could always reply to the sender and try to find out who it is.