I own a ~11 month old Galaxy S6, running Android version 7.0. The first ~8 months of use were uneventful, with no issues apparent to me.

In the past 3 months, the device started to drastically slow down. This was not associated with a particular app or other change by the user. I expect any new phone to become slower, but this seemed to be much more than routine slowdown. It now will periodically become very laggy to my inputs, to the point of being fully unresponsive for seconds/minutes until *something* decides to work. The device is also generally slower, more than I'd expect for an 11-month old Android.

Beyond being slow to operate, it occasionally doesn't work properly. Examples:
    - un/plugging headphones is not recognized
    - adjusting volume does not work
    - typing is not recognized at all: keyboard inputs elicit no response, but I can otherwise freely navigate the system with the touchscreen
    - swiping to clear notifications doesn't remove the notification
    - fingerprint is simply not recognized when unlocking (note -- the fingerprint is neither correct or incorrect: the system doesn't respond to the fingerprint at all)

Lacking tech expertise specific to Android, to me these issues seem to indicate some laggy/broken background process, since all of the above operations are core to the Android's normal function. This is especially the case since the broken functions eventually return to normal, after 15+ minutes or a restart.

Rarely, these issues are accompanied with a "process system isn't responding" error. If I select the >>restart prompt, the functions usually return; if I select >>wait, then the functions don't return.

How should I start trying to resolve this?

I keep the device clean of unnecessary apps and pictures. I have just cleared the cache memory partition, for the first time since owning the phone. I'm not an Android expert but generally know my way with tech so I'm willing to try suggestions.
    12-02-2018 11:38 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! First, try wiping the cache partition, which won't affect your personal data, and can sometimes help with general issues: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-29236. If that doesn't help, then see if the problem persists in Safe Mode: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=3pTtj21S. If it goes away, that suggests that something you installed is causing the problem. You'd have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.
    12-03-2018 01:41 AM