I'm rocking an old school Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 5.1, so my phone didn't come with the Messages app by Google. However, it had a lot of cool features that I wanted (like texting on your PC), so I downloaded it from the Google Play Store.

I've had it for nearly a year now, but with their recent update from November 20, it started to massively drain my battery. I used to get a solid 12 hours from my battery easily, but with the Messages app my battery only lasted 3 hours. I had to remove it and change back to the default SMS app that comes with Samsung devices because the Settings said that Messages was using over 50% of my battery.

Anyone else having this issue and possibly know why it's happening? I'd love to switch back to that app, but can't if my phone won't last the day.
    12-03-2018 11:15 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Check your current message threads and see if any of them show a "Message downloading" icon. This can happen sometimes if the phone wasn't able to download an MMS message properly (e.g., due to poor mobile data signal). Remember that MMS can be group texts, not just picture texts. I've seen this happen on my phone, which led to increased battery usage by the Messages app. It helps to delete that particular message so that the app doesn't keep trying to download it.
    12-03-2018 11:27 AM