I've been using my Galaxy S5 for sometime as a security camera. That said, the battery charging constantly, will eventually swell, possibly damaging the phone. I would like to know if there is a way to charge my phone on an as-needed basis? Example, a timer on my phone that would charge based on percentage of existing charge. If it reached a charge level of say 10%, the charger would automatically turn on.
    12-04-2018 11:14 AM
    The battery shouldn't swell if the pack is still in good condition and you stick to legit chargers. Both the phone, the battery pack (if original or properly licensed) and the charger all have security features in the charging circuitry to prevent overcharging/overheating. If the screen is on all the time, however, depending on the charger used and the process load on the phone, you might not be able to charge the phone 'fast enough' to keep up (and will eventually drain the battery, BUT if the charger is still plugged in, it should just continue to work).

For your case-scenario, you can probably do that with a smart socket and an automation app (like Tasker or IFTTT).
    12-04-2018 11:41 AM
    The charging chip in the phone shuts off at 100%. If the charge drops down to about 95%-98% (depending n the phone), it starts charging again.

If you want real control, and it's not an AT&T or VerizonS5, you can install Magisk, then install the mcs module in Magisk. Run a terminal app (like Terminal Emulator for Android), type su, then type mcs and the charging limits (when to stop, when to start), like mcs 90 50, and charging will stop at 90% and start again when the battery drops down to 50%. (Then type exit and hit enter - twice - to close the terminal app.

The battery will eventually swell - after 4 or 5 years - but nothing is forever. Even if you use the phone normally, it will eventually swell. (And don't bring the battery down to much less than 40$ - that shortens the battery life. 10% can kill it pretty quickly.)
    12-04-2018 12:31 PM