• Start date
A

Android Central Question

Why does the music stops streaming while using Bluetooth

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is the connection dropping? Are you sure no control buttons were pressed? Does it disconnect you or just stop playing content? When it stops, is there any other content playing on your phone (some ads will play videos, which will override music apps' audio output)? A notification came through (although in this case, audio should lower and then come back to the original level after the notification)?

Dexy83

Aug 2, 2018
Visit site
Is the connection dropping? Are you sure no control buttons were pressed? Does it disconnect you or just stop playing content? When it stops, is there any other content playing on your phone (some ads will play videos, which will override music apps' audio output)? A notification came through (although in this case, audio should lower and then come back to the original level after the notification)?

Obviously, the original poster fixed their issue since no reply. However, I'm currently experiencing this crapola and have no idea what to do now. In my case, all media stops playing when I use any Bluetooth unit. Smart speaker, Chromecast via TV, multiple headphones, and vehicle. This happens no matter what platform I'm using... YouTube app and website, Amazon music, Podcast Addict app and website, and Sirius app. I rebooted in safe mode and it didn't happen again, so I removed all recently installed apps. Restarted my cell, turned on Bluetooth, and started playing a YouTube video...it stopped, AGAIN. I'm at a loss!

FYI: The last app is from 3 months ago, therefore that shouldn't be the cause.

Thanks!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Are you saying that when you're using any Bluetooth device to listen to music on your phone, it inevitably pauses on its own? Is the app that's playing the media still in the foreground, or has it closed?

Chromecast works via wi-fi, not Bluetooth, so that wouldn't be a Bluetooth issue. Smart speakers aren't necessarily a Bluetooth issue either, but that depends on which smart speaker you're using.

Does the playback stop only when the phone's screen has gone to sleep?

Dexy83

Aug 2, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Are you saying that when you're using any Bluetooth device to listen to music on your phone, it inevitably pauses on its own? Is the app that's playing the media still in the foreground, or has it closed?

Chromecast works via wi-fi, not Bluetooth, so that wouldn't be a Bluetooth issue. Smart speakers aren't necessarily a Bluetooth issue either, but that depends on which smart speaker you're using.

Does the playback stop only when the phone's screen has gone to sleep?

Thank you for replying! I have a HTC U11. When I use any Bluetooth device to listen to videos, podcasts or music on my phone, it inevitably stops, (not pauses, not buffering), on its own. After reading your reply and thinking about it, I realized my list of apps/devices was confusing. (Sorry, I had just gotten off of a 12 hour shift at work. lol)

The devices that I use that have this problem are... Insignia Voice Smart Bluetooth Speaker w/Google Assistant, 3 different BT earbud headphones (including 1 brand new/never paired set), 2 different super basic BT speakers, Sync in my Ford Escape, and a 3rd party BT wireless adapter in my '96 Toyota... All of these worked up until 10 or so days ago. All of these devices have been unpaired, removed from cache and added/paired again with the same outcome. All of these devices functioned normally using my roommate's phone. It was that final test that lead me to believe my problem is BT related, as opposed to the app/cell software.

It happens when the app is in the foreground... For example, watching YouTube vids while getting ready for work. I'm not touching my phone, opening anything else, or otherwise interacting with my cell in anyway. (Occasionally, as we've all experienced, the wifi connection is dropping and/or otherwise lagging, so streaming media will continually. Another example is while driving... My cell is on the passenger seat, paired/connected to my vehicle speakers through BT, and I'm listening to music using the Amazon Music app that is downloaded to my phone, therefore no wifi/data connection needed.

The screen is not timing out...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver/"RAM-booster" apps installed?

See if this also happens in Safe Mode: htc.com/ie/support/htc-u11/faq/how-to-restart-phone-in-safe-mode.html

You'll only be able to test preinstalled apps, but YouTube should be one of them.

Last edited:

Dexy83

Aug 2, 2018
Visit site
Any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver/"RAM-booster" apps installed?

See if this also happens in Safe Mode: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...estart-phone-in-safe-mode.html&token=XuSCJDEu. You'll only be able to test preinstalled apps, but YouTube should be one of them.

I tried in safe mode... Bluetooth worked perfectly. I uninstalled all recent apps and it still stops. I tested playing media through the phone rather than BT... No issues, played without stopping. So, that means it must be the BT software... Not sure what to do to fix it, tho.

Edit: I reset network settings to see if that would solve the problem. Nope. I'm truly at a loss!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One more thing to try -- uninstall all updates to Chrome, in case a recent update is causing issues. Chrome handles Android System Webview on Nougat or higher, and sometimes these updates can cause issues with specific phones.

Dexy83

Aug 2, 2018
Visit site
One more thing to try -- uninstall all updates to Chrome, in case a recent update is causing issues. Chrome handles Android System Webview on Nougat or higher, and sometimes these updates can cause issues with specific phones.

Well, that seemingly fixed the problem, sorta. LOL I am able to listen to podcasts via Podcast Addict on a few different devices, however YouTube, AOL and Google Music all stop on a variety of devices.

Thank you all for the ideas... Please keep em coming if possible!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try temporarily turning off wi-fi (if feasible), since sometimes 2.4 GHz wi-fi can interfere with Bluetooth signal (since BT also uses 2.4 GHz). Or, if you have 5 GHz wi-fi available, use that.

Dexy83

Aug 2, 2018
Visit site
Try temporarily turning off wi-fi (if feasible), since sometimes 2.4 GHz wi-fi can interfere with Bluetooth signal (since BT also uses 2.4 GHz). Or, if you have 5 GHz wi-fi available, use that.

Wifi being on or off didn't have any baring on Bluetooth turning on or off. I tried in soft mode, again, and the problems stopped. Honestly, have I reached the point where there aren't any other fixes and have to accept that factory reset is my only option? :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact that it works in Safe Mode implies that something you installed is causing the problem. If you've uninstalled every 3rd party app and it still happens, then the next step would be a factory reset without automatically restoring the phone to its previous state (so that apps don't automatically reinstall), and then installing apps one by one, checking after each install to see if the Bluetooth problem returns.

Dexy83

Aug 2, 2018
Visit site
The fact that it works in Safe Mode implies that something you installed is causing the problem. If you've uninstalled every 3rd party app and it still happens, then the next step would be a factory reset without automatically restoring the phone to its previous state (so that apps don't automatically reinstall), and then installing apps one by one, checking after each install to see if the Bluetooth problem returns.

Oh, fun...said NO ONE ever! lol Fortunately, in regards to this anyway, I unexpectedly have the weekend off of work, so that will be my exciting task for the day. I will post an update after I have completed the reset. Thanks, again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I agree -- this kind of thing is can be very tedious.:-\

I'd start with apps that are more likely to have control over the system or media playback in some way, like security/antivirus apps or audio enhancement apps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Lots of computer things are no fun. It's finding the cause that's all the work - fixing it after that is usually trivial.

Firefox Nightly, with al addons disabled, shows a blank login and password when you're at a page that requires logging in. So you start typing the login ... and the original login that Firefox remembered, is there, with the first letter added at the end. Restart in safe mode, which is only supposed to disable addons, and it works correctly. Restart, with all addons still disabled, and it stops working. They still haven't found the cause of that one. (I've developed software that had something as complex as Firefox as one of its modules - more than once - and I know how absolutely maddening it can be when you don't even know where to look in the code to start to figure out what's happening.)