Is this malware? "Update Apps" in app list

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So not too long ago I installed some apps on my phone which didn't seem incredibly trustworthy and now (once deleting said apps) an app remains in Settings > Apps > All apps called "Update apps".
When trying to find information about this online I had no luck and when checking the applist of friends, "Update apps" was not present.
When clicking on it in the applist I can find out that its running at Version 1.0.00-61 (which seems odd).

Under Usage >

Mobile data: At the top of my screen "Drparser mode" shows up and when I click it im returned back to the previous screen. 3.79Mb of data has been used since 5th of September - all of which has been ran in the background. There is also an extensive list of 'related apps included in usage'.

Battery: The top of my screen shows system and when I click this I am once again brought back to the previous screen. This has used 5% of my battery since fully charged (I am now at 62%) 1h 3 mins of CPU total and 12m of CPU foreground - which is weird seeing as for data it was all background usage. And, once again, a very large list of Included packages.

Storage: At the top it says "Update apps" and when clicking it I get returned to the previous screen. The total storage size is 8Kb (though this was larger before I cleared the data, just I dont remember the value). Application size is 0B and data is 8Kb. The strangest thing about this is that when clearing the data to 0 it returns back to 8KB soon after.

Memory: At the top of the screen it shows "com.qualcomm.atfwd" and when clicking this im brought back to the previous screen. Average RAM usage is 2.7MB, frequency is "High (99%)" and maximum RAM usage is 3.4MB.

Under Permissions it says that the app has no permissions required though when clicking "all permissions" it can:
-Read and write from SD card
-View network connections
-Change network connectivity
-Have full network access
-Collect diagnostic information

Other notes:

-The app shows a default Android image - that of a typical system application though out of place among 'all apps' (not including system applications) this is what stood out to me.
-When trying to disable or force stop the application, the buttons are greyed out so I cannot click them.
-When finding "DRparser mode" and "com.qualcomm.atfwd" (as well as other services listed under 'included packages' for Mobile data and battery) in system apps, things such as RAM usage, Mobile data usage and Battery usage are all exactly the same, though storage size is not.

If this is a service, why is it not in "system apps"?

Is this malware secretly collecting my data?

I apologise if most of this detail is unnecessary though I'd like to provide as much information as possible on this issue - I would share more but this is all I have (other than pictures which I can post if necessary)

Thank-you in advance for help offered as any insight would be greatly appreciated!

wolffehh

Dec 24, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? I'm guessing it's a Samsung phone. It looks like DRParser is a normal system app: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s2/help/odd-issue-drparser-mdns-services-t3556577

Does it work normally in Safe Mode?

Sorry for the late reply, I've had a lot of trouble leading up to Christmas.

The phone is a Samsung J5(2016).
After posting the question I factory reset my phone and "Update Apps" still remains.
I believe it does continue to run in safe mode.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

wolffehh

Dec 24, 2018
Visit site
I doubt it's malware. Is everything else working normally after the factory reset?

Hello,

As far as i can tell, everything is working fine. My phone has been running optimally and 'update apps' continues to drain the same ram, battery etc. as other processes such as 'DRparser Mode'. Seeing that everything has stayed the same after a factory reset it leads me to believe that it is just a strangely misplaced yet necessary android process.

Like many times, a secondary opinion helps suppress doubts, and that second opinion was graciously offered. I appreciate the reassurance as well as help, though if you acquire any new information I'd be pleased (or not so) to hear it.

Furthermore, if my phone spontaneously combusts into a hail of adware I'll be sure to update this thread in the future in order to re-evaluate my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech