I have recently had some success fixing broken phones, but this was my first time attempting a screen. The LCD and digitizer were intact, but the screen cracked all over to the point of affecting my use of the touchscreen. So I ordered the glass alone, got it and got to the point of disconnecting the motherboard and "non-removable battery" , and I kind of got stuck. The guide I was following had me removing the vibration motor and the earpiece speaker. Neither one would come out. I also could not get the screen to begin to separate from the front of the phone. I went ahead and put it back together now I do not have earpiece speaker and the screen is far more cracked and it was. Should I even bother trying to fix it, or is it still salvageable? I do still have the new glass only screen.
    12-12-2018 06:07 PM
    It's tempting to attempt to replace only the glass because it costs so much less. My Nexus 5 has a broken glass, but what has always made me decide not to attempt it is that you need to evenly heat the screen to a certain temperature - with very little room for error - if you are to succeed. Too cool, and the glue is not softened enough; too hot, and the LCD is damaged. A wrong bit of pressure here or scraping there, and you crack the LCD.

I think it's probably fair to say that without the right tools and skills, anyone effecting such a repair successfully would have been smiled on from a passing friendly deity.
    12-12-2018 06:50 PM