Moto X4 Pie update, SD card issues

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just got my Android 9 update but now I'm getting prompted about installing my already existing SD card. The only option it's giving me is to format it but I have a lot of files already on it.

Any suggestions??

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X4 uses encryption on the SD card, which requires formatting. Copy all the files on the card to a PC, let the phone format the card, then copy the files back. (If you've moved any files to the SD card (you shouldn't have to with 64GB of storage in the phone), you'll have to move them back to the phone first. (If you don't, you'll have to factory reset the phone.)

EmmaX4

Dec 29, 2018
Visit site
warning: I have an androidone moto x4. I had never used an sd card on it before.

AFTER the 9.0 pie update, I put music on a microsd card and threw it in my phone. I noticed a bunch of android/com.appnamehere/ type folders were created on the SD card without me changing any settings or being prompted to do anything with the card. (phone displayed a notification "sd card: for transferring files and photos" or something to that effect.

I was able to read my music library with poweramp and play it. Everything worked fine until I removed the card to add some more music, and at some point my phone tried to turn itself on, or I fumbled power button, or something - and the bootloader came up for a few seconds before blacking out and the phone bricking. Couldn't boot, charge, or get to bootloader no matter what I tried.

I now have a refurb x4 valued at $399 in my hand and too much fear to use my 256gb microsd that I bought specifically for this purpose...
@Rukbat - do you think I should have inserted this card empty instead? Format it? Now that it has data on it, should I format it on my PC first?

I'm honestly angry and terrified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol