New user - should I get stock Android?

Anth0nyB

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
I am about to get rid of my company-supplied Apple after many years and buy my own Android handset.

I know there are hundreds of 'whats the best phone' questions with just as many different answers but as a new/returning user, would I be best sticking with something with standard Android - I am reading decent reviews about Huawei/Honor phones in my <£300 price range but they have their own version of Android installed so does that really make any difference?

ie is it so different that in 2 years is it likely that my phone will still be able to run Netflix, WhatsApp, Spotify etc

Opinions and experience welcome.
Many Thanks

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
At that price range, stock Android is the Nokia 6 series or lower.
You're a new user so I don't think there's any difference really since you don't know what to expect other than stock Android is basically bare bones. It may be lacking certain settings that other phones may have out of the box, but can be added via apps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Huawei is notorious for the aggressiveness with which it kills background apps - and it's not even close to "stock Android". If you can get a Pixel 2, you'd still have almost 2 years of updates coming. (And a Pixel is the definition of stock Android.)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! We're glad you're here!

You don't *have* to get stock Android if you are a new Android user - I just recommend it as it's a pure, cleaner form of Android without manufacturer bloatware; and your adjustment may be a little easier because you have less bloat and features to fiddle with.

That being said, I too would recommend a Pixel 2 or even an original Pixel. Great operating system and battery life, consistent updates, and a good camera! You can't go wrong!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

If you can snag a Pixel 2 for nearly that price, do it.

Something else I would suggest is if you have stores with live displays so you can hold some of the phones, to get a physical feel for them too.