Android doesn't sync contacts with Google.

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
I'm no longer able to sync my phone contacts with Google. I'm also unable to save new contacts to Google. All my contacts are stored in Google Contacts. My phone currently only has the Whatsapp contacts in my contact list.

2dB4cMr.jpg

s8qNLwI.jpg

1. My phone is not rooted.
2. I've tried removing and re-adding my Google account to my phone.
3. I did not have the "Google Contacts Sync" app so I downloaded the APK for V8.1.
4. I'm running Android version 8.0.0

Why am I unable to sync my contacts? And more important; how can I fix this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Did the phone come with Google Play Services and all other Google apps preinstalled, or did you have to install them manually?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and make sure you don't have two copies of Google Contacts Sync now. If you weren't showing the system apps before, then you might not have realized that you do have that app.

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
Have you updated the Google apps recently? If anything changed, the phone would need the new version of the app.
All my apps update automatically through Google Play. There are no updates available in Google Play

Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and make sure you don't have two copies of Google Contacts Sync now. If you weren't showing the system apps before, then you might not have realized that you do have that app.

I've 1 installation of the "Google-Contact Sync" app.
lZlBmnw.jpg

The only thing which (as far as I know) changed is the EMUI version (custom shell from Huawei). I did a system update to 8.0.0 some time ago. I'm not sure if this started the no-syncing problem.
XOHfhxT.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I recall this kind of thing happening with my old 2013 Nexus 7 (which required a factory reset to correct the problem), but I figured it was some issue with Marshmallow that would have been fixed by now. (I'm presuming your phone is on Oreo.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol