Failed to obtain IP address when connecting to wifi.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Android 6.0.1, Samsung J3
While I'm connecting to my school's unprotected guest wifi, it would usually work just fine, but now it's saying it's failed to obtain the IP address. I've tried the airplane mode trick, forgetting the network and reconnecting, changing the device name, rebooting, and the static IP setting. When I use the static IP, it does connect, but doesn't actually have internet. When I use the Chromebook though (where I'm posting from) and connect to the same network, it works just fine. When I went home, I tried using both my phone and my Chromebook to connect to my home's wifi, and the phone didn't connect but the Chromebook did. How do I fix this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, since you don't know the school's router's gateway address, you can't set a static IP address. Change it back. (That should connect to your router at home. If not, forget the connection, then connect to it again.)

As for why it didn't connect at school, there could be a number of reasons. You've abused the network in the past, so your MAC address is blocked (and you can't change it easily). There were no more slots available. All phones of that type (Android, probably, since that's where you're posting) are blocked - and about 100 other things. (Remember,m the school network is the school's property - you don't have any inherent right to use it.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance