Photos are being rearranged by Android when I move them from Gallery to SD card.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Need a good photo organizer. Where the order is not being dictated by Andriod. Let me decide the correct order my pictures should be in.

Why is Android screwing up the arrangement of my photos/pictures every time I move them to my SD card. I even tried naming them 1,2,3 etc. Still messed up. They look good when I view them by swiping then they are mixed up again. I have tried many different apps from the Playstore but all are the same. I have even switched my options for

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's probably because the date of the file is being changed to the date that you moved it to the SD card (since it's considering it to be a new file). If you're moving them en masse, it's possible the files aren't being written to the SD card in the exact same order.

Which gallery app are you using? Is there an option to sort by filename rather than date/time of the file? If you like organizing your photos, consider using the Google Photos app. You can create virtual albums in your Google Photos, and then assign photos to those albums. This also allows a single photos to be in multiple albums, without having to duplicate the photo.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Diddy has you pointed in the right direction.
Many poorly written image viewers look at the file dates when they should be looking at the EXIF data in the images.

If you need a picture app that does it correctly, I recommend "piktures" by Diune:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.diune.pictures

All that said, if your camera app is not naming its image files by the creation date (yyyymmdd_hhmmss.jpg), send the app devs an email asking them do to better.