Of all my friends and family nationwide, I'm the only one who knows to send pictures in a size that they're usable for anything but viewing on a tiny smartphone screen. It's exasperating. Such awesome pictures our friends send us of our night out together ... then I have to thank them, then muddle through describing how to send them in a usable size. I can't believe it's 2018 and 90% of all photos taken worldwide are "destroyed in transit" like this. Is there a simple setting for android and iphones that I can teach people? Or is there a simple way to let people know how to send pics full or near full size? Most people don't even really know what I mean when I say "go into your gallery and select..." so it might be a lost cause but ... worth a try...
    12-26-2018 09:20 AM
    The problem is that SMS is not designed to send large amounts of data, and each carrier limits the size of the data to around 600-1000 KB.

iPhone users muddy up the waters by using the iMessage instant messaging service where Apple lets the users send full-res pictures and movies while Apple eats the cost of data transfer.

Letting the messaging app resize the photos for transport, or letting the carrier do it, is just a recipe for disaster, as you have found out.

The two solutions for the android users are:
    1 - upload the full-res pictures to a photo hosting site then message the URL of the pictures
    2 - use a photo editor app to resize the images to 1200 pixels on the long side and message the resized photos
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-26-2018 09:54 PM