App using mic in background?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Idk if this question has been asked elsewhere, but I can't find answers anywhere, and this is the first time I've used this site. I also don't know how "threads work". Sorry if this is repetitive

I have an s8 and up until now the mic has been working mine. When I try to use "ok Google" shazam or record a snap, the mic doesnt seem to work or be recognized. When using shazam it automatically says "no results" within seconds of pressing listen (when the mic was working, if there was no music playing it would still listen for a while and then say no results, but now it isn't even trying to recognize sounds). Snap and Instagram videos won't record sound. And even the speech to text option on my keyword won't detect the microphone is being used. I assume there is another app using the microphone in the background because I've had this problem before, but resolved by uninstalling the latest app I downloaded. This time I don't know which app it is because none of them asked for microphone permission or is "microphone related" app.

I'd like to add that I've tried restarting my phone, as well as turning off bluetooth but it doesn't seem to work. Also I've just gotten an echo device which is my main suspension for this issue but I have tried uninstalling the Alexa app and disconnecting it from my phone but to no avail.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! A thread is any conversation on this forum where members respond to an initial question. You created a new thread by posting your question. But since you posted as an unregistered guest, you won't be able to continue the discussion within this thread, since only members can reply within a thread. Therefore, it'd be best if you registered on this forum: https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

You're probably right in that some app you installed may be inappropriately keeping the mic occupied. See if the problem persists in Safe Mode, which will temporarily disable all 3rd party apps you installed: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ng-galaxy-s8-into-safe-mode%2F&token=kqp4ew_X