I am receiving random hotel sales calls from my area code but I live far away from that old area code.
    12-31-2018 03:39 PM
    Without knowing what phone you have we can't get step by step directions.

However on my Note 9 in the call log I tap on the phone number, select details, when a new screen opens block number is at the bottom.

I can also block numbers via My Verizon but that would only apply if you have Verizon.
    12-31-2018 04:41 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! If the calls are typically from numbers with the same prefix as your number (i.e., the first 3 digits of the 7 digit phone number, not counting area code), then they're probably spoofing the numbers (i.e., channeling their spam calls through real numbers that have the same prefix as yours). The rationale that these snivelling little rats use is that if you see a number with the same prefix as yours, you're more likely to think it's a local number, and therefore someone you might know. The problem with spoofed calls is that blocking the numbers won't help, since the spammers will keep calling with randomly spoofed numbers. All you would be doing is blocking the legitimate phone numbers that the spammers are spoofing. Spoofed calls have become increasingly recognized as a problem by the US government, so at least they're trying to figure out how to reduce them. But so far, not much success.
    12-31-2018 07:39 PM