How to tell if S5 is trash or just needs a battery replacement?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I kept my old galaxy S5 phone to use offline. Lately I've been having a ton of issues. I'm not sure how to tell if it's the battery or the phone is just dead.

Having issues like:
1. Battery drains super fast.
2. Blank screen when turning on. I have to take the battery out and only put it in when I want to use it.
3. Things just dont want to work. Sending stuff through bluetooth, plugging in a charger, turning a setting on/off is laggy. It will either take minutes to do it or wont do it at all.

It's also got screen burn on half the screen. I dont want to waste money on a new battery if it doesn't work. And I also dont want to buy a used S5 if mine only needs a battery replacement.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A battery replacement will help with some of those issues, assuming you can find a fresh one that isn't already degrading itself due to age. Stuff like the screen burn in and lag are not going to be helped by a battery. Screen burn in is a hardware issue and requires a screen replacement. Lag can happen because your apps are being updated and are now to the point that they are putting excess demand on the system resources.

At this point, your only real long term solution would be to upgrade the phone to something with up to date specs. I don't think it'll be worth it to stick with an S5 unless you're a very light user.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12