I am new to this forum and I just bought a Samsung S9. I live in Norway but I wanted the US version since this has the FM radio enabled and its supposed to be more energy efficient also. So now I have a unlocked US version (SM-G960U) which works well with my carrier Telenor.
    Now I found out that this does not have the VoLTE (4G calling) function for some strange reason. As I mentioned, its unlocked but when starting the phone,the startup screen shows "Sprint". I'm thinking this has something to do with it.
    I would very much like to get the VoLTE function working on this phone. Can I install a "neutral" firmware so as to get this working, or what?
    Any help here will be greatly appreciated.
    01-07-2019 11:32 AM
    The U (as in G960U) is the "neutral" firmware. A is AT&T, P is Sprint, T is TMobile and V is Verizon. As to why the phone thinks it's using a Sprint SIM, that's a good question, but one I don't think anyone but a Samsung engineer could answer.
    01-07-2019 12:08 PM
    I believe that the option for VOLTE might be part of the carrier specific firmware. For example if an unlocked version of the Galaxy S8 is used on Verizon in the US, the option is not available unlike the Verizon version of the phone.
    01-07-2019 01:33 PM
    Telenor runs in Scandinavia and Asia, but you could be correct. That's why he should check with his carrier.
    01-07-2019 04:32 PM