My android auto app connects to my car Bluetooth but I am unable to use the phone through the car's speaker. I'm thinking this is because I have 2012 car that doesn't support Android auto. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to connect my phone to the car so that I can talk through the speaker? People can't hear me. Otherwise.
    01-10-2019 02:08 PM
    Go into your Bluetooth settings, what audio modes is the phone connecting to the car with? If the car supports the "headset" profile in the Bluetooth spec then it should work. If the car only supports media audio, you won't be able to use the car radio for phone audio.

Also - when you are trying to make a call do you have the input selected to whatever the phone is using? Does your car have buttons for phone calls?

For what it's worth - I have a vehicle without built-in Bluetooth, I bought a $20 Anker device that connects to the car through the AUX port and provides a Bluetooth connection. I use the Android Auto app on my phone screen and can use it to make/receive calls without an issue. The vehicle doesn't need to support Android Auto, you just need a Bluetooth connection that supports phone audio.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    01-10-2019 02:16 PM
    Hi Hallux, thanks! My car is from 2012. There a couple of buttons that allow for. Phone calls but not an actual dial pad. Also, I am not tech savvy but think I understand this problem. My Samsung connected to my car no problem and I. Could make calls. Now, with my pixel, the phone connects, I can hear music from phone through car, but whenever I use the phone it goes through the phone's speaker instead of car. I've spent hours on the phone with Google and they were no help...
    01-10-2019 02:23 PM
    Just joined and posted a response but don't see it.
    01-10-2019 02:40 PM
    I am wondering if I can connect my phone to. My car phone another way besides android auto. Android auto connects perfectly to the car accept for the phone feature. If I make a call it goes through my phone speaker instead of my car speaker and the person on the other end can barely hear me. I have spent hours on the phone with Google trying to troubleshoot and nothing seems to work. My hunch is that my 2012 sienna doesn't support the android auto phone feature I can also connect music and hear that through the radio. Thanks!
    01-10-2019 02:43 PM
    Welcome!

Android Auto is simply an overlay for the display that restricts access to anything but the "essentials". You need to make sure that your Pixel is connecting to the vehicle with the Phone or Headset profile, look in the Bluetooth settings for that connection when it's connected.
    01-10-2019 03:57 PM
    My phone is connecting to the vehicle bc I can play music through it, but whenever I want to use the phone it automatically puts my phone on speaker. In addition, I can't play my text messages and my OK Google doesn't respond to me...🤦🏼*♀️
    01-10-2019 06:10 PM
    Just connecting isn't enough. You need to be sure it has the correct types of connections enabled.

Connect the phone to your car and look in the Bluetooth settings, check the status of the car connection, it should look similar to this.

How to get phone to work through car Bluetooth with android auto?-screenshot_20190110-201349.jpg

Notice how phone audio and media audio are different items...
    01-10-2019 07:16 PM
    I will try that and will keep you posted. Thank you!
    01-10-2019 08:46 PM
    I'm not sure how to post a screenshot here, but mine looks just like yours except mine does not have the "phone calls" line...
    01-10-2019 09:02 PM
    So if there is no entry on the car's Bluetooth connection on your phone it is not set up for phone calls through the car radio. Have you checked the settings on the car radio to see if there's something there to control that?

Here's how to post a screenshot - https://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...d-central.html
    01-11-2019 05:01 AM