Picked up the Pixel XL this week and was planning on bringing that and my S2 on a trip to store and edit photos while travelling. I am having trouble getting the tablet to 'see' the phone. The phone sees The tablet, but not the other way around. I am using a usb-c to micro usb cable purchased from Amazon. Observations:
    1. Once connected via cable, the tablet eventually asks me to open an mtc connection. I give permission but nothing changes.
    2. The tablet gives me the "The connected device is unable to access data on this device" message....yeah, I know!
    3. The usb controller on the phone is greyed out, I cannot change which device controls the usb connection... i have already made sure via developers options that usb files transfer is selected.

My preliminary research is pointing me towards a faulty cable. Anything else I can try? Is my tablet obsolete?

Thanks,
    Karen
    01-15-2019 01:58 PM
    The cable doesn't really work both ways. You need the OTG part to be connected correctly. But if all you want is to access files, why don't you just send those back and forth via WiFi or Bluetooth?

Alternatively, IF you have the cable connected properly, you can use SmartSwitch to transfer data (it's meant for phone back up but can work for batch transfer between devices) from one device to another; the app will tell you which way the cable is supposed to be connected, or it will give you the option to do the same but via WiFi.
    01-15-2019 02:59 PM
    WiFi File Transfer or apps like that work well. Also, you can install an FTP server on one device, access it with the web browser on the other device (ftp://<the IP address of the other device>) if they're both on the same WiFi LAN (like your router) and transfer the files that way.

USB? That works for small transfers, but if you have a few GB to transfer, it's probably going to keep failing after 10 files or so. (USB hardware isn't designed to be hit that hard.)
    01-15-2019 03:53 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Since you bought a Pixel 3 XL, take advantage of your unlimited Google Photos cloud storage at original resolution, and make sure the phone is backing up your photos automatically: https://support.google.com/photos/an...DAndroid&hl=en. You can then easily access those photos using the Google Photos app on your Tab S2, as long as it has a wi-fi connection (or you tether it to your phone). That's what I always do on my trips, with my Pixel 2 XL and Pixel C.
    01-15-2019 05:21 PM
    Transfer tool allows user to transfer files via WiFi,you needn't to use USB cable.And when connect successfully,the tool will access your files automatically.
    Its supported file types include contacts, text messages, calendars, music, photos and videos. It can help you perform the migration more easily.

Syncing the files with email is also a good way to transfer the files. Once you have an email account and enable the sync feature on both your devices, you can sync or download the certain files from/to Android/iPhone/computer without any limitation.
    01-19-2019 02:41 AM
    The cable doesn't really work both ways. You need the OTG part to be connected correctly. But if all you want is to access files, why don't you just send those back and forth via WiFi or Bluetooth?

Alternatively, IF you have the cable connected properly, you can use SmartSwitch to transfer data (it's meant for phone back up but can work for batch transfer between devices) from one device to another; the app will tell you which way the cable is supposed to be connected, or it will give you the option to do the same but via WiFi.
    Hi again, during my travels I will be taking photos at concerts, and will have likely hundreds per show... wifi at hotels is not very fast, (usually throttled for things like uploads and downloads) and I fear I won't have the time to transfer large photo files in an efficient manner. I was hoping to use my tablet as a storage device from which I could also edit some of the photos.

So there's no cable that works in the direction I need it (Pixel to Tab)? That's a bummer.

-K
    01-28-2019 02:36 AM
    Another option is to get a USB card reader, and copy the photos to a microSD card in the reader. Then move the card to the tablet.
    01-28-2019 02:59 AM
    Unless Google really cripples the Pixel(seems to be missing a lot of features I take for granted on Samsung) all you need to do is use WiFi direct. There is no need for apps, no need for cables, no need to connect to the hotel wifi.

On the Tab S2 open Wifi and at the top of the screen you should see WiFi direct, it allows a direct connection using the devices Wifi and is fairly quick at moving files.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    01-28-2019 03:25 AM
    And yes there are cables and OTG adapters that can work, yous just have to get it in the right direction. OTG cables aren't OTG both ways.
    01-28-2019 10:54 AM