I`m pissed. I just bought a Galaxy Tab S3 so I could use Android Messages. This app works best with the members of a group I'm responsible for, and I couldn't use it on an iPad 4. So I tried to download the app and got the "not compatible" message. What is Google thinking?
    01-16-2019 05:42 PM
    I`m pissed. I just bought a Galaxy Tab S3 so I could use Android Messages. This app works best with the members of a group I'm responsible for, and I couldn't use it on an iPad 4. So I tried to download the app and got the "not compatible" message. What is Google thinking?
    Download it from another reputable site.
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...er-google-inc/
    01-16-2019 05:58 PM
    Because it's an app for texting which is a phone capability.

I expect with RCS coming there may be the ability to put it on a tablet eventually.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-16-2019 06:07 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! hallux is correct. Google's Messages app is an SMS/MMS app, which requires telephony. Even if your tablet is LTE-enabled, it doesn't have telephony -- the LTE is only for mobile data. That's what Google (and Samsung) are thinking.
    hallux likes this.
    01-17-2019 11:37 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! hallux is correct. Google's Messages app is an SMS/MMS app, which requires telephony. Even if your tablet is LTE-enabled, it doesn't have telephony -- the LTE is only for mobile data. That's what Google (and Samsung) are thinking.
    Forgive my telephony ignorance, but how does messages work over strictly wifi access then on the phone? and why wouldn't it work for the S3 on wifi?
    03-05-2019 08:39 AM
    Forgive my telephony ignorance, but how does messages work over strictly wifi access then on the phone? and why wouldn't it work for the S3 on wifi?
    The WiFi is just the "pipe", SMS/MMS is still the protocol that is being fed through the pipe.
    03-05-2019 09:04 AM
    I don't know much about the technicalities, but as far as I can ascertain, standard SMS requires a phone line, not just a data line. This might not be the case with certain 3rd party modifications (like, for example, the Verizon Messages+ app, which is still based on your actual phone number of the primary line), but I don't believe Google's own Messages app has a workaround for this.

If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me!
    03-05-2019 09:14 PM
    Many texting apps work over WiFi (Textra for example). On Verizon I can turn off cellular on my phone and then use WiFi only for texting if I'm on a flight. Further, Verizon messaging can be installed on the S3 for texting over WiFi. Despite this, however, many apps won't download from the app store (they just say not compatible), not sure why. If you have Verizon try its messaging app.

Further clarification:
    >Download messaging to S3
    >Enter mobile phone number
    >Code is sent to phone
    >Scan code with S3
    >S3 can then send texts over WiFi and it will act like it's using your mobile number
    04-05-2019 10:10 AM
    This works using Google messages on your phone. Look at

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/19/1...om-web-feature

Works on my tab s3 and windows surface book. Good luck to you, hope not too late.
    05-19-2019 11:31 PM
    Btw. Follow instructions in that Verge link I sent you. You do not need to have GM on tablet or laptop. When you do first QR scan GM is installed. Remember to turn on remember device so you don't have to repeat process everytime. Works good 4 me.
    05-19-2019 11:36 PM