We have a Nokia 8 which doesn't turn on after it was dropped. Is there anyway we can get the photos off the phone? The photos were not backed up unfortunately. Or is there any software we can download on a laptop to get the photos off the phone?
    01-22-2019 04:08 PM
    Nope. Unfortunately the only way to access any information off a device is to either have it on (and unlocked) to transfer via WiFi/BT/USB or to have the data backed up to a cloud service.

Depending on what 'broke' when you dropped it, you MIGHT be able to have a repair shop turn it on temporarily just to get the info off the phone.
    01-22-2019 04:11 PM
    One decent reason to save /backup pics vids docs to a micro SD.
    Rukbat likes this.
    01-22-2019 04:17 PM
    One decent reason to save /backup pics vids docs to a micro SD.
    Ummm, not really. Just read the myriad of 'My SD card lost all my pictures, help!' posts in here and you'll see that, also, is not the best option. Hard-drive back ups or cloud ones are, really, the best way to keep those memories safe.
    01-22-2019 04:24 PM
    Ummm, not really. Just read the myriad of 'My SD card lost all my pictures, help!' posts in here and you'll see that, also, is not the best option. Hard-drive back ups or cloud ones are, really, the best way to keep those memories safe.
    But to lose both at once... cheap insurance.
    01-22-2019 04:25 PM
    Personally I trust flash storage over a mechanical drive. Best thing is to have more than one copy of important files.
    01-22-2019 08:20 PM
    Nope. Unfortunately the only way to access any information off a device is to either have it on (and unlocked) to transfer via WiFi/BT/USB or to have the data backed up to a cloud service.

Depending on what 'broke' when you dropped it, you MIGHT be able to have a repair shop turn it on temporarily just to get the info off the phone.
    Unfortunately don't think a repair shop could turn it on temporarily as we think the screen digitaliza has gone. The phone is under a year old with no scratches or cracks & dad was thinking of taking it back to the store to get the money back or get it repaired for free or even get a new one as it's still in warranty being under a year old.
    01-23-2019 05:53 AM
    Personally I trust flash storage over a mechanical drive. Best thing is to have more than one copy of important files.
    Any storage can fail, and mechanical drives are certainly susceptible to mechanical failure. But as for flash storage, I'd be a little cautious about SD cards, since I've been told by a friend in the industry that the quality of the memory chips in SD cards is bottom of the barrel (even from top companies like Sandisk). USB drives are probably better, and SSDs are probably best.

I definitely agree that redundancy is the best bet, though, regardless of the method of redundancy!
    SpookDroid likes this.
    01-23-2019 11:24 AM
    Unfortunately don't think a repair shop could turn it on temporarily as we think the screen digitaliza has gone. The phone is under a year old with no scratches or cracks & dad was thinking of taking it back to the store to get the money back or get it repaired for free or even get a new one as it's still in warranty being under a year old.
    If it's just the digitizer then it's the easiest thing to replace (VS the motherboard or something else more complex) and something they can totally attach a temporary element to. But if it's still under a year and under warranty with no visible scratches, you might be able to get away with a free repair at least to get your info back.
    01-23-2019 11:33 AM
    The "best" way is a hard drive (they still last longer than SSDs), and at least two cloud storage sites, preferably located on different continents. (Imagine anyone who had depended on a cloud server in Fukushima, Japan, before the tidal wave.)
    01-23-2019 11:53 AM
    If it's just the digitizer then it's the easiest thing to replace (VS the motherboard or something else more complex) and something they can totally attach a temporary element to. But if it's still under a year and under warranty with no visible scratches, you might be able to get away with a free repair at least to get your info back.
    If we get it repaired will the pictures get deleted? Got told in the Samsung store when I took my A4 in that if they open a phone up everything will get deleted.
    01-23-2019 11:57 AM
    Depends on where you take it. Most repair shops that you have to send the phone in, yes, will most likely wipe the phone. If it's a repair shop that you can be present at and are nice to them, they can install a temporary display just so you can back things up.
    01-23-2019 09:53 PM
    Would this work?
    Attached Thumbnails Retrieving photos from a dead phone.-56325.jpg  
    01-26-2019 08:54 AM
    That onky works if the device is on and unlocked
    01-26-2019 01:06 PM
    The phone has been sent in for a repair takes about 14 days & looks like the pictures etc may get deleted when they repair the phone. When we get the phone back & it's working would what I posted above work on getting the items back?
    01-27-2019 05:36 PM
    If the phone wasn't wiped, yeah
    01-28-2019 09:56 AM
    Got the phone back but they couldn't fix it as the phone is warped. Any ideas how the phone can warp on its own?
    02-06-2019 06:02 AM
    Usually not on its own. If it's bent/warped it's definitely applied external pressure. Either while wearing it on a back pocket (will never ever understand why people do that), improper packaging that led to damage to the phone during shipping (your box doesn't travel alone, it does so with a ton of other packages, so if not enough padding or proper boxing, you get the weight of other stuff on top), etc.

Only thing that gets warped 'on its own' might be the back plate if the battery swells too much (but that's because the battery got damaged/ruptured, so not really 'on its own').
    02-06-2019 10:59 AM