Pictures from Kik no longer saving to Gallery after uninstall/reinstalling?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The photos and videos that I have sent via Kik used to save to their own folder in my gallery. Since I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, this feature does not happen. where are these photos going?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Using a file manager app, look through the various directories on your phone to see if you can find the directory Kik uses. Start with the /Pictures directory, but it might also be a subdirectory of /Android/data.

Claire Smith2

Aug 2, 2019
Visit site
Thanks I have tried your suggestions and I still can't find them any other ideas? I use kik in a secure folder app, if that makes a difference. I have looked in it's directories too. Where are the pics going?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you manually saving these image files to the phone? In other words, when you receive a picture from someone in Kik, are you selecting that image and then tapping Save/Download?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If they're in a secure directory, you won't see them, because even the filenames are encrypted. Change kik for a time to save to a plain directory, have it save a few pictures and see if you can find them. (Then set it back to the secure directory if you need that.)

alexa10101

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
Looking for some help. I found a 'kik' album on my android a while back. Had some photos in it but i am not tech savy. Were these photos that I have taken/sent in the kik app? Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you ever installed kik, then it would not be unusual for it to create a kik directory where it saves images that you view in the chat threads. I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't use kik any more, just delete that directory using a file manager app.

KeriLoo

Oct 22, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Using a file manager app, look through the various directories on your phone to see if you can find the directory Kik uses. Start with the /Pictures directory, but it might also be a subdirectory of /Android/data.

Is there a way to redirect where the pictures are being saved to? This just recently started happening to me yesterday. They used to save to pictures now they're saving to data.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is there a way to redirect where the pictures are being saved to? This just recently started happening to me yesterday. They used to save to pictures now they're saving to data.
Welcome to AC!

Which device you have ?
Picture saving to data ? Not sure what u mean , sd card ?

Is this happening when you take a picture or downloading somewhere?

KeriLoo

Oct 22, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

Which device you have ?
Picture saving to data ? Not sure what u mean , sd card ?

Is this happening when you take a picture or downloading somewhere?

I have a pixel 5 and it just started happening last night after updating to Android 12. If I saved or took a picture in Kik I could find it in my picture library. Now they're being saved to

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/kik.android

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a pixel 5 and it just started happening last night after updating to Android 12. If I saved or took a picture in Kik I could find it in my picture library. Now they're being saved to

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/kik.android
Hmm can you tell me what permissions the app has ? Long press kik then tap info>tap on permission

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Using a file manager, look in that directory and make sure there's no file called ".nomedia". If there is, delete it, since that file instructs the system to ignore that folder when scanning for images to add to the gallery database.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon