Chromecast set up- Can't find device

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a new gen2 Chromecast device that I can't get to work. It is properly plugged in and the red LED is on. I have used the Home app on both my Pixel2 and my Samsung Tablet. The Home app cannot find the device. I have tried with my phone from 10 feet to several inches away, so distance is not a problem. The wifi signal is strong. I have tried pushing the button on the Chromecast device. Nothing seems to work. I have no other Home devices installed in my house. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest you turn up the volume on the TV (although I think the Chromecast only uses that after verification), but also are you sure your phone isn't connected to a 5GHz network if your Chromecast isn't an Ultra one and the 2.4 and 5 networks aren't isolated from each other? When you connect the Chromecast, do you see the set up screen on the TV or do you see it searching for a network? If the latter, then the device has already been set up; you might want to reset it by pressing and holding the reset button until it reboots from factory image.

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
When I attempted the set it up I selected the Chromecast input for the TV and got a blue and white diagram indicating set ups for IOS and Android. From my phone it would search but find nothing.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No, it should be fine (not all Chromecasts can connect to 5GHz, so if it connects to the 2.4 one and your phone is on the 5 one, but in the router they're not 'linked' for some reason, then the phone won't see the Chromecast... Doesn't seem to be the case with yours, though so don't think that's the issue).

Have you tried with a different phone or tablet? Unfortunately it doesn't support set up from a computer so you'll need either an Android or iOS device. Make sure you're using a charger to power the Chromecast instead of TV USB input (at least for set up, just to rule out low power to the dongle), and make sure the Home app has all the permissions it needs (location, microphone, etc.) or it won't be able to detect the Chromecast location properly.