How to fix 'Unfortunately, Android System has stopped after share photos in Gallery

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro (version 6.0.1).

In Gallery (built-in app), I'm easily shared a photo/video via email or to another socmed apps i.e. Instagram, Facebook, Whatsapp, and also for photo editing to the Snapseed, Lightx, VSCO, AirBrush etc, by only tapping the Share button at the bottom of the photo.

It still working on last 2 days.

But today, when I tap the Share button, the Gallery was suddenly closed by itself, and the 'Unfortunately the Android System Stopped' appeared on screen.

First, I guess the photo might be corrupted, so I tried to do with another photo(s) and albums, but it still happened.

In Apps section in Setting, I cleared the cache and data in Gallery and Camera, and forced it stop. The same things also done to the another apps like Snapseed, Instagram, Facebook, including the Android System app (it's a system apps; just clear cache, cannot clear data and force stop).

And after my phone was restart again and again and again, it still not works! Gallery suddenly closed, followed by 'Unfortunately the Android System stopped' appeared on screen. Still can't share any photo/video!!

For your information, after stuck in 'Shared Dilemma' this evening, I have to uninstall the Open Camera app (using it since last year, no problem at all). I've no idea either this case was caused by this app or not (after using this cam app to take photos in my office today at 5.30 pm, I open the Gallery and choose some best photos for my FB posting, then the Gallery suddenly closed after clicking the Share button).

Is it possible if the 'uninstall-then-reinstall back' some apps (version upgraded) that listed in Share button (linked) also effecting this problem?

What should I do now? I really need your help, sir/mam.

Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are the photos all on Internal Storage or the SD card? Also, it isn't quite clear to me -- are you saying that uninstalling Open Camera helped or didn't help?

Adam Do

Feb 3, 2019
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my dad's phone and came across this thread while looking for a solution. This problem started earlier today.

To clarify what OP is saying - while in the Gallery App, when a photo is pulled up and the share button is tapped on screen, the "Share via..." menu will come up for a brief second and the app will force close. Following this, there will be a prompt flashes that says "Unfortunately, android system has stopped". Repeating this process over and over again heats up the phone. Clearing the cache and restarting the phone doesn't fix the issue. No additional apps were installed on this phone and the default gallery and camera apps are used.

My dad is running a Galaxy S7 (SM-G930A) on version 6.0.1

talashaden30

Feb 3, 2019
Visit site
I started having the same issue the other day. When I open Gallery and try to share a photo it force closes and says "Unfortunately android system has stopped". I tried a soft reset and a factory reset and neither worked. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my dad's phone and came across this thread while looking for a solution. This problem started earlier today.

To clarify what OP is saying - while in the Gallery App, when a photo is pulled up and the share button is tapped on screen, the "Share via..." menu will come up for a brief second and the app will force close. Following this, there will be a prompt flashes that says "Unfortunately, android system has stopped". Repeating this process over and over again heats up the phone. Clearing the cache and restarting the phone doesn't fix the issue. No additional apps were installed on this phone and the default gallery and camera apps are used.

My dad is running a Galaxy S7 (SM-G930A) on version 6.0.1

Welcome to Android Central! When you mention clearing the cache, are you talking about wiping the system cache partition, or only clearing the Gallery app cache? Also, are the photos saved to Internal Storage or the SD card?

tuco19

Feb 4, 2019
Visit site
Same issue started for me in past 2 days. Tried multiple restarts, cleared data/cache in Gallery and Camera, reset All app preferences, and changed camera to store photos internally - no change. I did find I could share photos using the (Google) Photos app, so seems to be tied to Gallery app, which looks like is used with default camera. (Samsung S7, 6.0.1)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Considering that we're talking about S6 and S7 phones, I'm assuming this didn't start after a system update, correct? The other thing I'd wonder about is if some update to Android System Webview is causing issues. Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and select Android System Webview. If it isn't Disabled, try uninstalling all updates, and see if the problem persists.

If it is Disabled, that means you probably have Chrome preinstalled, which performs the Android System Webview function (and therefore causes the actual Android System Webview app to be disabled). If that's the case, then try uninstalling all updates to Chrome instead.

SonicAge

Feb 5, 2019
Visit site
This might be a corrupted update to an app related to sharing the files. The phone has a default list of apps it wants to share to. One of them might be the culprit.

On a friend's phone he could share from the gallery, but not directly from the camera after taking a photo. We disabled Facebook. (he doesn't even use Facebook) That fixed it. Sharing directly from the phone started working again. It might have been a corrupt or interrupted Facebook update that caused the issue.

Go into your app settings, and disable Facebook (and/or any other apps that you don't use and which are set to show up in the share list)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This might be a corrupted update to an app related to sharing the files. The phone has a default list of apps it wants to share to. One of them might be the culprit.

On a friend's phone he could share from the gallery, but not directly from the camera after taking a photo. We disabled Facebook. (he doesn't even use Facebook) That fixed it. Sharing directly from the phone started working again. It might have been a corrupt or interrupted Facebook update that caused the issue.

Go into your app settings, and disable Facebook (and/or any other apps that you don't use and which are set to show up in the share list)

Good idea! I'd be interested to know if temporarily uninstalling Facebook Messenger might help as well -- judging by the forums, FB Messenger has been generally buggy lately, seemingly more often on Samsung phones.

possum456

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Good idea! I'd be interested to know if temporarily uninstalling Facebook Messenger might help as well -- judging by the forums, FB Messenger has been generally buggy lately, seemingly more often on Samsung phones.

It worked for me.
This just started happening on my Mum's phone a few days ago, she couldn't share anything from the gallery. Regardless of stored on the internal storage or sd card. Though when in FB Messenger, it could send a photo from stored in the gallery oddly enough?

Saw your post today so I just uninstalled FB Messenger and then disabled Facebook and now it shares perfectly. I've since reinstalled them and it's still sharing (as of now).
I'm thinking either messenger or facebook had a bad update?

tuco19

Feb 4, 2019
Visit site
Great find, thanks! I tried uninstalling FB Messenger first and restarted phone, but no change. I then stopped Facebook app, and sharing worked without restart. Sharing is working as usual now. Thanks!

James Elbrecht

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Worked for me, too. [uninstalled FB messenger- disabled FB] Then, since I was trying to share to FB, I re-enabled and all is well.
Thanks folks!

addendum 2/13
It is repeatable, too. The factory FB seems to be OK-- But as soon as it sits overnight, the same problem returns-- and disabling clears it.

Since I never look at FB from my phone, but only need it to share photos, I'll look for how to disable FB updates.

[Samsung S6 running Android 6.0.1]

Last edited:

YogaJunkie

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
Hi this was happening to me too it was driving me mad! Disabled Facebook and it fixed the problem 👌
I've reinstalled it and the share option is working again at the moment. What's the long term solution for this issue please? I do use fb a lot on my phone. Thanks very much! 🙄

meow5432

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
The same thing i did ! I uninstalled fb and and i was able to share butas soon as i reinstalled fb it started happening again! Hope this issue is fixed asap since it annoying :( using a samsung J7 2015 model. Any other help to resolve the issue?

Cambur

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Please help me! Today out of the sudden when i tried to share pictures i got a message *unfortunately the android system has stopped" turns out my wife has been having the same problem for a week now..we both have samsung galaxy s6. I've tried all the suggested tips but to no avail..nothing helped. I've cleared data and cache of the gallery application..uninstalled facebook msn and forced to stop facebook but nothing is helping. Please help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781