I'm traveling abroad for a long time, and i don't have a local sim card. For some reason wifi's in hotel or restaurant that requires a login in a portal after choosing the wifi net doesn't get to the portal, and instead of getting to the login site im getting a message ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED. It never happened when i also had the 4G but it doesn't supposed to make a different any way. Can some one help me get into the login portal? Thanks
    02-07-2019 04:17 PM
    Welcome to the forums. What device do you have and which Android version is it running? That kind of problem is usually related with the Captive Portal Login app or with the Android System Webview. There's a couple of things you could try.

- Go to settings - apps - show system - select CaptivePortalLogin, force stop, clear data and restart the phone.

- If the problem persists go to settings - apps - select Chrome and disable. Now open the Play Store, search for Android System Webview and make sure it is updated. Restart the phone and see if the problem persists.

Tell us how it goes.
    02-07-2019 05:00 PM
    Hi javier, my phone is xiaomi redmi 5+, and the Android's version is 8.1.0 opm1.171019.019. My settings are apparently quite different than your phone because i cannot find any of the stuff you have mentioned, maybe is there a different solution for me?
    02-07-2019 06:16 PM
    Hi javier, my phone is xiaomi redmi 5+, and the Android's version is 8.1.0 opm1.171019.019. My settings are apparently quite different than your phone because i cannot find any of the stuff you have mentioned, maybe is there a different solution for me?
    Thanks for registering. Unfortunately I've never used a Xiaomi device and I know that their settings can be quite different compared with 'standard' Android. Do you have Chrome installed in your phone? If so, you should be able to uninstall it.
    02-07-2019 08:06 PM
    I can't delete the app, but i deleted the updates, it's not helping. Is there is anything else you know i can do?
    02-07-2019 09:51 PM
    Try to connect with the sim card removed. You should be able to use it as a mini tablet. Google the instructions if their is a carrier splash screen you need to get past to enter setup. Good luck
    02-07-2019 10:02 PM
    Go to settings - apps - show system - select CaptivePortalLogin, force stop, clear data and restart the phone.
    How do I get to the "show system", when in apps if I press the three dots in the upper right corner my only options are "sort by size" and "reset app preferences"? running KitKat 4.4.2
    03-04-2019 03:17 PM
    How do I get to the "show system", when in apps if I press the three dots in the upper right corner my only options are "sort by size" and "reset app preferences"? running KitKat 4.4.2
    It's been a long time since I had a phone running KitKat but if I recall correctly there's a drop down menu with a tiny down arrow where you can select this option.
    03-04-2019 06:40 PM
    It's been a long time since I had a phone running KitKat but if I recall correctly there's a drop down menu with a tiny down arrow where you can select this option.
    no down arrow
    03-05-2019 10:00 AM
    no down arrow
    Can you post a screenshot of your settings - apps screen? I think in KitKat this option option was called 'show all' instead of 'show system'.
    03-05-2019 10:08 AM
    What I do when the captive portal login doesn't appear is go to a website that DOES NOT use https, but uses regular http. Something with the encryption glitches it. Www.weather.com is the site I normally go to, which then redirects to the captive login.
    Javier P likes this.
    03-05-2019 11:13 AM
    What I do when the captive portal login doesn't appear is go to a website that DOES NOT use https, but uses regular http. Something with the encryption glitches it. Www.weather.com is the site I normally go to, which then redirects to the captive login.
    Ha! That's a neat trick.
    Mooncatt likes this.
    03-05-2019 11:16 AM