So, I often receive notifications on emails that were from weeks/months ago, even though I've already dismissed them when I first got them. I've noticed that it tends to happen with the same set of email for a while, before eventually moving on to another set of emails. Just today, I received notification on the same emails from back in early January around five times.

I use the standard email app that came with the phone. This has been happening for months, and my software is up to date.
    02-07-2019 09:53 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! When you say you dismissed them, do you mean that you actually read or deleted the emails, or that you only dismissed the notifications? Dismissing a notification doesn't make the system think you've actually read the emails. In certain circumstances, those unread emails may still generate a notification.
    02-07-2019 11:12 PM
    I'm not sure if this is the case for 100% of the repeat notifications, but I'm pretty sure I only dismissed it for the majority of them, I probably didn't read/delete them.

This still doesn't really explain why I'm getting repeat notifications weeks/months after the fact. And it isn't for every email, just random ones. Any idea on how to stop old emails from, generating additional notifications? It isn't directly harmful I guess, just mildly annoying. Thanks for any help you're able to provide.
    02-07-2019 11:34 PM
    That is pretty strange. Which email provider is it? Are you using the POP3 or IMAP server? I wonder if there might be something glitchy with your email provider's server, rather than with the phone.
    02-07-2019 11:38 PM
    bellsouth.net, although I think yahoo picked them up. IMAP.

I had an iphone a year ago, and although android is superior in every other way, I didn't have this notification bug back then.
    02-07-2019 11:47 PM
    Although it probably won't lead anywhere, it may still be worth contacting BellSouth support to see if they're aware of this issue. Also, try removing that email account from the email app, then add it back again.
    02-08-2019 03:12 PM