Moto g play wouldn't turn on

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So I have a Moto g play on the Giffgaff network. This morning my phone wouldn't turn on, it came up with a hazard sign when I tried to turn it on. I charged it for a bit and after a few hard resets, it turned on. turns out the battery ran out, It was at 65% before I went to bed, there's no way it could have ran out of battery just in a few hours. Has anyone had this issue before or know what the issue is ?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Such things can in fact happen on phones and other devices. I've experienced it, and other members will have too.
There are several possible causes. Did you check your battery usage stats for clues?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How old is the phone? If it's the G4 Play, it's about 3 years old, which can be the time when the battery starts acting up (depending on what your charging habits have been). If you notice this happening frequently, it might be time to replace the battery.

As belodion suggested, battery stats can be helpful to review. The next time this happens, review the battery stats as soon as you're able to power the phone on -- it'll usually remember them for the first few minutes of charging. It could be a rogue app that was inappropriately working overtime while you were asleep.

Knl90

Feb 12, 2019
Visit site
It's the g6 play, I only bought the phone in November, I had nothing unusual open last night that would drain the battery that quick. I'm hoping it's just a bug of somewhat. It does freeze up a few times, just for a few seconds, not sure if that has anything to do with it

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I had a drain from 100% overnight on a Lumia....so bad that it had powered off to protect the battery. I never really understood the reason.
My laptop regularly discharges fully, though powered off, and that has two big batteries. I lost interest long ago in trying to diagnose it.
Another phone, I don’t recall which, started losing charge overnight. Eventually I tracked it down to a pre-installed security app performing a scan in the small hours at the same time every day, though set not to do so.

On daily driver devices such drains are intolerable and demand attention. There are all sorts of things that may be going on: some app stuck on requesting location reporting, perhaps, or something stuck on uploading or syncing. Often, a system app shows as having used the battery, and gets the blame, but it may only be that some other app has requested some service or other, which the system app then provides.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
After about 8 hours running, check the battery stats and see if anything unusual is using a large percentage.

"A bug" doing that would probably be a dendrite in the battery, which means a battery replacement.