S5 wont turn off if plugged in

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Galaxy S5 won't turn off if it is plugged in. When I try to turn the phone off, it shuts down and then starts up again.
If it is off and I plug it in, it boots up.

If it is not plugged in, it shuts down just fine and stays off.

I would like it to stay off at night while I charge it.

Any ideas?

NeilAggarwal

Feb 13, 2019
Visit site
Perhaps you have Keep Screen On While Charging

I went to Developer Options and there is a selection for Stay Awake (Screen with never sleep while charging). It is unchecked. I checked it and then unchecked it to try to make sure the phone recognizes the setting. I turned my phone off. When I plug it in, it still boots up. I want it to stay off and charge.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I guess you could try a Cache Partition wipe. I doubt that it's likely to fix it, but it's easy to do.
If no go, you could try Safe Mode, also easy to do.
If those procedures do no good, they will do no harm, so may be worth trying.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry. I don't know what else to suggest, apart from the reflash or repairer attention mentioned by @Rukbat.

I don't know whether a failing battery could cause what you describe. Others here may know.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you try a different charging cable? Also, make sure the USB port is clear of debris -- use a can of compressed air to blow it out, and a small Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea if it makes any electrical sense, but I'm just brainstorming for possible ideas before falling back on having to replace the port or the motherboard.:-\

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Reflashing the ROM is more work than I want to do
Flashing a ROM on a Samsung takes about a minute of your time (not counting the time to generate the MD5 of the file, not counting the time it takes to write and set up the ROM - you can be doing something else at that time. I usually flash Samsung ROMS when there's a good TV show to watch.

Backing up and restoring, if you don't have TWRP installed, takes time, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca