My Galaxy S5 won't turn off if it is plugged in. When I try to turn the phone off, it shuts down and then starts up again.
    If it is off and I plug it in, it boots up.

If it is not plugged in, it shuts down just fine and stays off.

I would like it to stay off at night while I charge it.

Any ideas?
    02-13-2019 12:07 PM
    Back everything up (see Backing up an Android Device), reflash the ROM and see if that fixes it. If it does, restore the backup. If it doesn't, take it to a repair shop (although you can probably replace it for less than you can get it repaired for).
    02-13-2019 02:34 PM
    Perhaps you have Keep Screen On While Charging, or whatever it’s called, in Developer Options?

Edit: Posted same moment as above.
    02-13-2019 02:35 PM
    If the screen came on, that would be a possibility, but he said "boots up", so I doubt it.
    02-13-2019 02:42 PM
    Reflashing the ROM is more work than I want to do, I guess I will live with it if that is the solution.
    02-13-2019 03:44 PM
    Perhaps you have Keep Screen On While Charging
    I went to Developer Options and there is a selection for Stay Awake (Screen with never sleep while charging). It is unchecked. I checked it and then unchecked it to try to make sure the phone recognizes the setting. I turned my phone off. When I plug it in, it still boots up. I want it to stay off and charge.
    02-13-2019 03:49 PM
    I guess you could try a Cache Partition wipe. I doubt that it's likely to fix it, but it's easy to do.
    If no go, you could try Safe Mode, also easy to do.
    If those procedures do no good, they will do no harm, so may be worth trying.
    02-13-2019 05:34 PM
    I wiped the cache and that did not help.

I booted into Safe Mode. Then, I turned off the phone. When I plugged it into power, it booted up again.
    02-13-2019 05:43 PM
    I'm sorry. I don't know what else to suggest, apart from the reflash or repairer attention mentioned by @Rukbat.

I don't know whether a failing battery could cause what you describe. Others here may know.
    02-13-2019 06:29 PM
    What happens if you try a different charging cable? Also, make sure the USB port is clear of debris -- use a can of compressed air to blow it out, and a small Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts.
    02-13-2019 07:04 PM
    I don't know what else to suggest
    No problem, thank you for trying to help.
    02-13-2019 08:28 PM
    What happens if you try a different charging cable? Also, make sure the USB port is clear of debris
    I tried two different cables with no difference in result.

The port being dirty would have the opposite effect of what I am experiencing. It would interfere with being able to charge the phone. It is charging just fine.
    02-13-2019 08:30 PM
    The port being dirty would have the opposite effect of what I am experiencing. It would interfere with being able to charge the phone. It is charging just fine.
    That's true, but I'm wondering if it could cause a short or something that would trigger a power-on sequence.
    02-13-2019 08:48 PM
    I'm wondering if it could cause a short or something that would trigger a power-on sequence
    That is an interesting point.
    02-13-2019 08:50 PM
    I have no idea if it makes any electrical sense, but I'm just brainstorming for possible ideas before falling back on having to replace the port or the motherboard.
    02-13-2019 08:56 PM
    I'm just brainstorming for possible ideas
    Never hurts to try to think of every possibility. Thank you for that.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-13-2019 08:58 PM
    Reflashing the ROM is more work than I want to do
    Flashing a ROM on a Samsung takes about a minute of your time (not counting the time to generate the MD5 of the file, not counting the time it takes to write and set up the ROM - you can be doing something else at that time. I usually flash Samsung ROMS when there's a good TV show to watch.

Backing up and restoring, if you don't have TWRP installed, takes time, though.
    02-14-2019 12:05 AM