I have downloaded pictures from my phone on numerous occasions and just now having a hard time. I have given permission for the laptop and phone to connect and my S6 file shows up. When I click on the DCIM it says it is empty. I checked my phone and all the photos are there. I swiped down on my phone and went to the options for downloading and selected the images transfer. When that happens a photos screen comes up on my laptop and state searching for photos. It comes up with an alert that says we're having trouble connecting make sure your device is unlocked and that you accept notification to connect. I click on try again and the same message comes up. Wondering if there is some sort of a security setting on my phone that I need to check. Any help would be very much appreciated
    03-06-2019 11:24 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify -- after you connect the phone via USB, are you swiping down the notification panel, tapping the USB icon, and selecting MTP (or File Transfer)? I'm not sure if this is what you mean by "options for downloading and selected the images transfer."
    03-07-2019 10:30 PM
    I have the exact same problem. Transferring my photos via USB always worked in the past. I do have the phone set to File transfer after connecting it by USB. Has any solution been found? I have an S8.
    02-18-2020 09:36 AM
    My old S8 doesn't have any issues. Do you have Samsung USB drivers installed on your PC?
    02-18-2020 09:54 AM
    I searched for it, and apparently not. Has something changed? Because I never needed it before when I successfully transferred photos. On the page to download Samsung USB drivers, it says: "You need the driver only if you are developing on Windows and want to connect a Samsung android device to your development environment over USB." I don't even understand what "developing on Windows" means.
    02-18-2020 01:36 PM
    Generally any device you connect to a PC needs drivers. Perhaps your PC uploaded drivers the first time you connected the device and possibly they are corrupt. Don't worry about the development bit on Windows but essentially they are saying if you want to do stuff on the samsung using the PC, you need the drivers.
    02-18-2020 02:44 PM
    I downloaded and installed the Samsung USB drivers app. I connected the phone to my computer again. Google photos still could not find my photos on the phone. My computer "sees" my phone, but it says the folders are empty, when they are not. Is there more I must do to use the app?
    02-18-2020 04:23 PM
    OK on your phone swipe down from the top and you should see charging option, MTP option or file transfer. Choose either option and folders should appear when you click on the S6 icon in Windows explorer. If your photos are on your SD card, click the SD card icon and navigate to the DCIM folder. Sam's goes for internal storage.
    02-18-2020 05:00 PM
    I've googled how to transfer files via USB and tried almost every troubleshooting thing suggested. I'm about to give up. Can you tell me another way to transfer files to my computer that would be fast? My internet is relatively slow. I just got back from a vacation and have several hundred photos I want on my computer.
    02-18-2020 05:14 PM
    I just tried to follow your instructions, but when I tap on File transfer I am in settings and nothing happens--no folders appear, no S6 icon, no Windows explorer. I'm not sure I understand. Thanks for your patience. ( I don't have an SD card installed, it says, so my photos are on internal storage.)
    02-18-2020 05:28 PM
    I have a feeling this whole problem is because of some setting somewhere that I accidentally touched. It came on so suddenly. It always worked automatically before. I just looked at every file on my phone from the computer. I found pictures that were sent to me in Messenger, and pictures from 2016 and 2017. I saw a few downloads. But none of the pictures I took this month, or in the last couple years since I've had this phone, are visible to my computer. It simply says the DCIM folder is empty.
    02-18-2020 05:37 PM
    Not sure if I explained properly. Here's a good tutorial https://www.howtogeek.com/346317/how...ur-windows-pc/

The other thing you can do to get photos on your Pc is to download them from Google photos
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-18-2020 06:00 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! First, I would highly recommend taking advantage of the Google Photos auto-backup feature: https://support.google.com/googleone...DAndroid&hl=en. If you don't have a lot of Google Drive space, then make sure it's set to High Quality, not Original Quality, and you'll get unlimited backup storage for photos. Also make sure you're backing up using wi-fi, since backing up over a cellular network can eat up a lot of your data.

In terms of your phone's USB connection to the PC -- are you able to see any other files in other directories on the phone using Windows File Explorer, or is it just the /DCIM folder that seems empty? Are you actually navigating to /DCIM/Camera?
    02-18-2020 08:42 PM
    This is weird and kind of embarrassing, but my photos at last transferred. Galactic Zoo, apparently I had chosen "Transfer files" instead of "Transfer Images," although I can swear I had tried both. Or maybe I tried both before I downloaded the app you recommended. Perhaps it was a combination of things that prevented it from working. Anyway, thanks for all your help.

B. Diddy, I will keep automatic backup in mind. Although it's no longer important I'll answer your question. I WAS able to see some other files, but the DCIM folder said it was empty. I had opened every single file on the phone to look for the photos, but they didn't show up at that point. It didn't matter if I checked DCIM/Camera or just DCIM or whatever. Thanks for your help, too.
    02-19-2020 04:33 PM
    Glad you got it to work! "Transfer Files" still should've worked fine. I'm guessing "Transfer Images" is PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol), which is like MTP (Media Transfer Protocol, and most likely what "Transfer Files" represents) but more limited. In any case, let us know if you have more problems in the future.
    02-19-2020 04:43 PM
    Happy days
    02-19-2020 04:54 PM