I am upset I can no longer customize notifications by contact on my S8 with Samsung messaging - I want to try Textra but I want to know if I will lose all the current chat threads in Samsung messaging? So question, if I try textra and go back to Samsung will all the old messages still be there?
    03-20-2019 03:21 PM
    I don't know much about Textra but any message that comes thru your carrier goes thru your native SMS app on your device. If you download a third party app, something from the play store, it still goes thru this native app. They sync so if you delete something it gets deleted in both places but you can install and uninstall SMS apps all day and your messages will always be in that native app, until you delete one or some or whatever. So the long and short is no you won't lose any messages that you don't delete just trying an SMS even if you uninstall it later. The only way you would have messages that wouldn't be held would be if you installed a messaging service or an app designed to erase messages automatically.
    03-21-2019 12:42 AM
    SMS messages are stored in a special SQL database on the phone. All SMS apps read the same database. Some SMS apps may add extra tables to the database to support extra features, but all the messages are in the basic tables. I am pretty sure Textra does this extra tables thing since it has a "resync" option. However, switching SMS apps will not lose any messages.
    03-21-2019 03:25 PM