I like to have some apps pre-installed in case of an emergency (e.g. roadside service), but I don't want them to be able to run and waste battery when they are not needed. Normally, I would install the apps and then Disable them under Apps->App Info. However, with the Android 9 Pie One UI update on my Note9, the option to manually disable apps that are not pre-installed has disappeared. According to Samsung Twitter Support, third-party apps cannot be disabled. Which is not entirely correct, since there is an option under Battery->Settings to "Auto disable unused apps". Unfortunately, this option is NOT disabling the unused apps.

How do you manually disable an app you have installed under Android 9 Pie One UI???
    03-28-2019 12:15 PM
    If you don't run the app, it's not going to run by itself. Some system apps may, because Android needs a process in one of the apps for an app you ran to run. But no one writes apps dependent on processes in other non-system apps.

You can manually disable an app under Settings > apps. (Choose the app, then Disable.) But you'll have to enable the app again before you can use it. If instead of using the Home button when you;re finished with an app, you use the Back button, you're doing the same thing as "Auto disable unused apps" - the app is stopped from running at that point. "Auto disable unused apps" is just to stop apps that are still running (you used the Home button [which doesn't stop the current app, it just runs the launcher in the foreground, putting the app that was running into the background - still running]) from running if they haven't been used in a while. Using the Back button stops them immediately. (The app will still be in RAM - but something has to be in RAM - you can't have a block of RAM with nothing in it. Even uninitialized RAM has random 1s and 0s in it.)
    03-28-2019 01:09 PM
    I use an app called Package Disabled Pro. That's how I disable anything I don't want running.
    03-29-2019 10:02 AM