When an app is updated, it installs a new version of the app - and apps install to internal storage by default.

This is a very bad design by Android phone which means memory card is useless.
    What is the point of having memory card storage on the Android Phone?
    03-28-2019 02:40 PM
    This is the normal and expected behavior, while obviously not the desired behavior. The SD card was never intended to store apps while it sometimes can be used for that purpose in the older versions of android.

The purpose of the SD card is to store your pictures, videos, music, and documents.
    Many of the apps that use lots of data space (camera, maps, GPS, games) will let you move their data to the SD card while leaving the app on the internal storage.
    03-28-2019 03:26 PM
    The reason it's not recommended to put apps on the SD card (or format it as adoptable storage, for that matter) is because apps are constantly writing and rewriting data to their storage location. SD cards are not designed to hold up to do much writing, which can wear it out rather quickly.
    03-28-2019 04:40 PM
    And performance reduction, increased power usage, etc.At least its not locked down like before.
    03-28-2019 08:10 PM