How to change device IP address?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My ip is being used to track and control my internet connection. I’ve tried a few methods but none have worked. I was just wondering if there’s any way to change the IP address that way it can’t be tracked and controlled anymore. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Just changing the IP isn't enough, you'd need to also rid the device of whatever was installed by the person tracking you. Also, your IP changes depending on what network (your home WiFi, public WiFi, the cellular network) the device is connected to. On top of that, on a WiFi network it's very possible the IP address the phone has is not public-facing and it would be difficult to get the public-facing address to change on a network that isn't yours.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That helps a little, but your options are still limited especially if the router is not yours. Again, the IP the phone gets is only for the "internal" network, WiFi usually has a different IP that all devices appear to be communicating from when you look at it from "outside".

A-J

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
How to change ip address for a specific router?

The IP address shown on my device when connected to my home router is being used to control my connection. I was wondering if there is any way to change it so that I’m still able to use the connection and no longer be blocked from connecting. Any help will be appreciated.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So, here's how things work, usually.

Your router connects to the modem (or maybe it's an all-in-one), the router gets a public or external IP from your provider through the modem. Each device you connect to your router gets an internal IP for communicating within your network. As far as things outside your network are concerned EVERY device accessing the internet from "inside" your network is connecting from the same IP. In this configuration someone can't directly use the address you can see in the phone status in order to control the device from outside your home network.

How can you change this external IP? Well, if you unplug your router and modem for around 30 seconds it's possible the router will be assigned a new external address, but the way those assignments are registered (through a "lease" that expires after a period of time set by the provider) it's possible you could pull the same external IP.

What evidence do you have that this control is actually happening?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad