I have an LG V30 with all the latest updates. I use Google Assistant for a lot of things, especially while driving. I have all the options enabled to use Google Assistant on the lock screen. I used to be able to say "OK Google, Play Pandora" and it would open Pandora and start playing music, even with the phone locked, without any problems.

Recently, every time I tell Google Assistant to do something from the lock screen, it tells me "You have to unlock your phone to do that", which completely defeats the purpose of Google Assistant for me. It wasn't doing this before. I don't know if an update has screwed this up or if there is a setting I am missing. Any recommendations or insight as to why I this is randomly happening? It is highly frustrating.
    Joshua Greve likes this.
    04-01-2019 06:49 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! See this: https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/01/...unlock-update/

Try turning on Smart Lock and making your car a Trusted Device. That should keep the phone unlocked while you're in the car.
    04-01-2019 07:19 PM
    Thank you for your response. I was afraid of that. It really ticks me off that Google doesn't give users the option to do this, even after being informed that it may not be as secure. That's the kind of crap I got tired of Apple trying to force on iPhone users, which is why I switched to Android.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that and see if it works better. I just really enjoyed being able to tell Google to adjust my thermostat, or set an alarm, or play music from a specific app, from across a room and it do it with no problems. Now its just nearly worthless. Thanks Google for the retrograde...
    Joshua Greve likes this.
    04-01-2019 07:51 PM
    I think Smart Lock can really help you there. If you're at home, then set your home as a Trusted Location.
    Joshua Greve likes this.
    04-01-2019 08:10 PM
    This may work alright for my vehicle, but I tried it with my home and it appears that my GPS will have to be left on in order for this to work, which drains my phone battery significantly faster. I am really not happy about this change. Google's reason for doing this was for security because anyone could record your voice and use it to get the Google Assistant to unlock your phone. This is so stupid because I can completely disable the lock screen if I choose to, which would leave me with absolutely no security. If people hang around idiots who would record their voice and use it to unlock their phones or they are worried about this happening, just disable the feature. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people do not experience this problem. I was driving yesterday and tried to get Google Assistant to play some music and got the stupid "You must unlock your phone to do that response." So, I had to divert my attention to try to unlock my stupid phone and dropped it in my floor board. Hopefully, the Smart Lock will help with this while in my car. If Google doesn't improve this by the time my contract is up, I'm most likely going to switch back to an iPhone. Sorry for the rant. This is just unacceptable to me.
    Joshua Greve likes this.
    04-02-2019 10:23 AM
    Is your phone usually connected to a Bluetooth device while at home, like a headset or a watch? That'd be another Smart Lock possibility.
    Joshua Greve likes this.
    04-02-2019 11:39 AM
    No, but a watch may be a good option to try. I've been thinking about getting one anyways. If the phone will stay unlocked while in the vicinity of the watch, allowing for the functionality I want without just completely disabling the lock screen altogether, I think that will be something I can cope with. Thanks a lot for all your input.
    B. Diddy and Joshua Greve like this.
    04-02-2019 02:02 PM
    I have an LG V30 with all the latest updates. I use Google Assistant for a lot of things, especially while driving. I have all the options enabled to use Google Assistant on the lock screen. I used to be able to say "OK Google, Play Pandora" and it would open Pandora and start playing music, even with the phone locked, without any problems.

Recently, every time I tell Google Assistant to do something from the lock screen, it tells me "You have to unlock your phone to do that", which completely defeats the purpose of Google Assistant for me. It wasn't doing this before. I don't know if an update has screwed this up or if there is a setting I am missing. Any recommendations or insight as to why I this is randomly happening? It is highly frustrating.
    Just noticed it doing the same for me in the past week on my Mate 20 Pro. It was never an issue before and I think Google may have actually changed it this way on purpose going by the help page in Google Assistant? Using Smart Lock/Trusted Devices is fine if I'm connected to my Bluetooth in the car etc but for every other time its become pointless when you still have to unlock the phone manually after the commands
    Joshua Greve likes this.
    04-02-2019 03:02 PM
    No, but a watch may be a good option to try. I've been thinking about getting one anyways. If the phone will stay unlocked while in the vicinity of the watch, allowing for the functionality I want without just completely disabling the lock screen altogether, I think that will be something I can cope with. Thanks a lot for all your input.
    Another option might be to get a Tile for your keychain (assuming your phone and your keys are never that far apart) and make the Tile a Trusted Device. It'd be cheaper than a watch (although you can find some decent Wear OS and Samsung watches for pretty cheap these days as well).
    Joshua Greve likes this.
    04-02-2019 05:26 PM
    It's started with mine too - everyday I tell her to send text to so and so, I'm on my way home.... And she says you must unlock your phone to do that

I'm driving if I could unlock my phone, I wouldn't ask my assistant to do it
    Joshua Greve likes this.
    06-12-2019 11:53 PM
    Try toggling this on.
    06-13-2019 04:16 AM
    Thank you for your response. I was afraid of that. It really ticks me off that Google doesn't give users the option to do this, even after being informed that it may not be as secure. That's the kind of crap I got tired of Apple trying to force on iPhone users, which is why I switched to Android.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that and see if it works better. I just really enjoyed being able to tell Google to adjust my thermostat, or set an alarm, or play music from a specific app, from across a room and it do it with no problems. Now its just nearly worthless. Thanks Google for the retrograde...
    I completely agree with your sentiments here re your disillusionment for Google becoming more and more like Apple. This is a perfect example. To make matters worse, I just got a Pixel before I realized this about Google. My thought was that a Pixel would play nice w Google offer the most seamless Google experience possible. It's no more impressive than your LG... Except at least this isn't LG's fault. Anyway, my point is that getting a Pixel will only offer more examples of how Google is taking more and more notes from Apple.

Fwp, but c'mon Google.
    06-20-2019 10:58 PM
    Another option might be to get a Tile for your keychain (assuming your phone and your keys are never that far apart) and make the Tile a Trusted Device. It'd be cheaper than a watch (although you can find some decent Wear OS and Samsung watches for pretty cheap these days as well).
    Whoa! Thank you. I've been having the same problem. I thought there was no option for me bc my car does not have Bluetooth. But I do have a Tile. I'll try this!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-20-2019 11:01 PM
    It's started with mine too - everyday I tell her to send text to so and so, I'm on my way home.... And she says you must unlock your phone to do that

I'm driving if I could unlock my phone, I wouldn't ask my assistant to do it
    Lol. Exactly.
    06-20-2019 11:02 PM