How do I extend the screen timeout on my Galaxy Note 9?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just got my phone today and was setting it up. I tried to extend the screen timeout by setting>display>screen timeout and set to 5 minutes, but the phone will dim and turn to always on screen or lock screen in a few seconds. I tried a few more times and restart the phone, but the phone would still black out in a few seconds. What else can I try to extend the screen timeout duration?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just got my phone today and was setting it up. I tried to extend the screen timeout by setting>display>screen timeout and set to 5 minutes, but the phone will dim and turn to always on screen or lock screen in a few seconds. I tried a few more times and restart the phone, but the phone would still black out in a few seconds. What else can I try to extend the screen timeout duration?
I would put it in safe mode see if it still happens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried to turn on Smart Stay, but the it still timeout in a like 5 seconds.

Sorry about the misunderstanding -- I asked about Smart Stay because if it was on, that might cause the screen to turn off before the timeout is up (if it detects that you're not looking at the screen). If Smart Stay was off to begin with, then it's not the problem.