My Galaxy S8 stopped working altogether. It won't turn on or charge. The only thing I can do is open up download mode but only if the phone is plugged in. Trying to boot into safe mode just ends up in a loop where the phone tries to restart. The phone is only discovered on my laptop while in download mode and even then, it shows up as a "modem" with the name MSM8998, which is the chip. I figure if I can get it into recovery mode (which I'm attempting through adb), I may be able to wipe the cache partition and boot normally. If anyone knows how to do this or just any idea on how to recover the media files on the internal storage, it'd be much appreciated
    04-04-2019 03:15 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The behavior you're describing sounds like it could be a failing battery. You may need to consider bringing it to a repair shop to replace the battery.
    04-04-2019 04:02 PM
    You could try leaving it on the charger for a few hours, then see if it will boot into recovery. Unless the battery is totally dead, that should give it enough charge. (But if it's that dead, and not just corrupted, it will - as B. Diddy said, need a new battery. And by draining the battery down very low (10-15%) every cycle, you can kill a battery in months.)
    04-05-2019 02:35 PM